Help again but with angels

Jammos

I have got some babies and they are in a little tank. They were all happy and swimming around until on sunday when I did a water cahnge ( like I do every 3rd day) but I also cahnged the filter wool and now they are all swimming around on the top not happy at all.

Would they have boated stomach due to eating all the crap when I was cleaning it? anyone know what I should do as they don't look like they will make it much longer!

If you have no other filter media in that tank, by taking away the filter wool you will have also taken away the biological filter. I am guessing that the tank is bare with no gravel etc. I would do a 40% water change straight away and then do daily 25% water changes after that. You could also add some cycle or stress zyme.

I would also add couple of Java Ferns and some Java Moss, the plants will help with cycling and Java Moss and Fern don't need much light plus the babies will pick off microorganisms off the plants for food.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Matt

With fry, the better the water quality the quicker they will grow and the healthier they will be. It is hard to know how often to do water changes without knowing some information about your setup i.e. how many babies do you have, what size tank are they in, what filtration are you using and is there anyhing else in the tank?

Cheers,

Matt

I have the same size tank running with the same filter at home. I have the bottom half filled with gravel (for biological filtration) and the top half filled with a couple of layers of filter wool (for mechanical filtration). That way when you change the filter wool you aren't removing the biological filter. By using two layers you can also change one and rinse the cleaner of the two in tank water and re-use it to preserve more of your biological filter.

Java Fern can be quite expensive ($14.95 in Auckland) but you should be able to get a couple of bunches of Java Moss for under $10.

With that size tank and that loading of fish I would be changing a bucket a day (33%) and vacuuming the bottom especially if you are feeding them 3 times a day.

I hope this helps, others may have a different opinion.

Good luck with the babies,

Matt