Using suction cups to clean algae off glass?

Romeo

Gidday all,

Have been noticing lately that there's a bit of brown algae on the sides of my tank, but it's crystal clear where I've been sliding the thermometer in and out. Which got me thinking, so I tried it out on the front of the tank and to my joy it did a wonderful job! All the brown gunk didn't seem to go straight into the aquarium either, it was collecting under the suction cup - choice! It glides around effortlessly, and didn't scratch the glass.

Surely someone else has come across this before? Maybe we'll see an AquaOne Suc 'n Glide in the near future?

SucNGlide.jpg

Not if you don't have sand in your tank, don't mind getting wet and can't afford a $7.95 magnetic algae scrubber - so, in most cases yeah, you wouldn't bother...

BUT, I bet they said the same thing to the guy who came up with the DIY CO2 bottle!

Good one!

I have tried everything for cleaning glass. The magnetic cleaner and spongy thing scratched the glass to bits with collected grit eventually :cry: :evil:

My weapon of choice is an eftpos card or similar. The edge removed even the tough green dot algae and NO risk of it picking up grit. Over time the edge gets a little beaten up (pushing down into rocks) so it needs to be replaced with a new one periodically.