Tell me about these Arowana.

Andrew_W

I'm eying up a lovely silver Arowana, and once I'm sure I have some job security, And if by some act of god I get the algae in my tank under control. I will probably get one.

I'm modifing my hood so prevent its likely escape.

I'm only looking at a very small one less than $200...and yes I realise It will quickly out grow my tank, and someone on here will no doubt take him.

Anything else I need to know about these little beauties?

Oh I'm also aware that it will eat any small fish it can get its fins on.

I see some Arowana are like 2K+, are they different than the silver ones? or is the big price tag because they are huge?

and yes I realise It will quickly out grow my tank, and someone on here will no doubt take him.

Thats a bad idea. Would you buy a great dane puppy if you lived in a single bedroom apartment, or would you adopt a kid if you weren't prepared to raise it to adulthood? If you're not planning on housing it for life then don't buy it, IMO.

I see some Arowana are like 2K+, are they different than the silver ones? or is the big price tag because they are huge?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... hp?t=36281

There are 6 (or 9 if you split the asian ones up) different species of fish from 4 continents that get called "arowana".

Thats a bad idea. Would you buy a great dane puppy if you lived in a single bedroom apartment, or would you adopt a kid if you weren't prepared to raise it to adulthood? If you're not planning on housing it for life then don't buy it, IMO.

I have 3 bedroom apartment, and he really Edit Mod - Billaney the neighbours off with his barking. Edit - Billaney

Cheers for the link though.

I don't intend on keeping any of my fish "Forever"...My work will hopefully take me around the world (which is why dont actually have a dog running my apartment) . I'm not going to not go, cause I have fish swimming around in a tank in my room. You make it sound like they wouldn't be going to a good home...its also like saying your going to keep all the fish you breed. :roll:

And if for what ever reason I do have part with them I would hope that their new owner would get as much enjoyment out of them as I have/will.

at the risk of being v unpopular - i reckon you should get the fish and when it gets too big you can get rid of it. how else are you to learn about keeping different species.

Ps - you can keep aros with discus etc... i have without any problems. if the aro grows up with them they will not be food but any new fish will be fair game.

i wish "to be" parents could rent rent kids to see the hell they are really in store for, lol.

i wish "to be" parents could rent rent kids to see the hell they are really in store for, lol.

lol what?

I dont see how the fish swimming around in a fish tank 1/4 of the size of mine in the LFS waiting for someone to maybe buy it (or them killing it), is any different than me buying it, and giving it away at a later day.

Feb 10 is more than likely to be judgment day for me.

how big is your initial "tank for now untill i decide to go away for my job and then i will give it away tank"?

if you catch my drift:D

well, lets put it this way, a silver arowana will outgrow a 4 foot tank by 2x2 in less than a year.

they will get to 12 inches with in 4 months with the right care and feeding.

12 inches might not sound like alot but it is a biggie.

i have 3 arowanas. i have seen them grow fast! and big!

how big is your initial "tank for now untill i decide to go away for my job and then i will give it away tank"?

if you catch my drift:D

I suppose that is the question I should have asked first. If you come to a prior arrangement with someone like livingart, and have a 6x2x2 tank so you can grow it up to a large enough size to go with his aros then its not so bad. Anything under 6x2x2' will be out-grown in under 2 years (on average), if not then you've either got a stunted fish or a runt.

you know the saying about assuming things

everyone was quick to jump on andrew without knowing the full story

i can house smaller aros as well

and soon will be able to house 1.2 metre monsters

aros are also a bit different as they are able to turn in 1/2 their body length

aros are also a bit different as they are able to turn in 1/2 their body length

Yes, but that doesn't mean you'd want to keep one in a tank narrower than the length of the fish. Even short-term a small tank will cause the fish to be skittish which could lead to it jumping or damaging itself from bashing into the sides of the tank. Long term it can lead to spinal problems. Ideally the OP would have told us a bit more (something, anything) about his setup so we could offer reasonable advice, I was imagining a 4' planted tank... :lol:

And does that mean assume is now a naughty word? :o