Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Algae problems

Featured Replies

Hi fishkeepers, I am having a problem with algae in my coldwater tank at the moment.I can take the stones out and scrub them clean and change 1/3 of the water every second week but I still can't get it off my plants.I don't want to put snails in to control it, and I am not sure of what fish I can put in to control it.I would like to fix this without using chemicals if I can. Any thoughts? Thanks :P

What type of algae is it?

green?

brown?

black and furry?

Do a google on the type as each one needs a totally different approach.

To save scrubbing rocks and ornaments etc I pull mine out of the affected tank, put them straight into the microwave on high for 2 minutes and put them straight back into the tank.

When they come out of the microwave they are completely sterilised and the fish eat the dead algae

  • Author

Thanks Stella google was helpful.It did say that a increase in light would help.Would that be a increase in light hours or a increase in the tube size.At the mo I have the smallest wattage tube, and it is on for 8 hours.

Best & cheapest way ive found to control algae is more water changes.

I had a BBA problem in my 3ft GBA tank with around 200 GBA's, due to the amount needed to feed that many fish i ended up with a lot of BBA approx 40mm long, looked terrible.

I used to do 20ltr daily water changes and have upped that to 30ltrs a day and its nearly all gone.

The light will definetly affect it but smaller light or bigger light, more hours or less hours ???? Who knows LOL

Easier just to do more water changes, try same amount of water change but instead of 1 every 2 weeks try twice a week for a week then weekly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.