Which canister filter?

curtur

I am looking to buy a canister filter for a 250ltr tank and am trying to decide between getting either a JBL Cristal Profi 250 or an Aqua One Cf1200. Ihave got another tank running a Cf700 and its given me no trouble, should I stick with Aqua One or not?.

I have a JBL crystal profi 500 and and Eheim 2217 on a 450ltr tank, JBL seems ok but the Eheim's much easier to clean and start again, had several eheims for a few years now, clean them occasionaly but ultra reliable, theres a 2213 Eheim on trade me at the moment usually $170 at Hollywood Fishfarm trader is willing to post as well. I have no experience with Aqua One's as i like the in at the bottom out at the top design of the classic eheims, no water bypass.

You get what you pay for. Eheim are the only filter i will buy. Not dear either if you get them on sale and will last years.

I brought a second hand one about 10 years ago and sold it a year or so later. About a week ago someone down by me brought it. I would say that filter was 15 years old and still going strong.

Doubt and aqua one or jbl would be going after that long.

You can bruy aquaones for somewhere around 1/4th the price you can bruy an Eheim for. If it lasts 5 years where an eheim lasts 20 you're coming out ahead.

Not right up with the play with pricing on the aquaones but you can get the eheim classic starting at under $200.

I paid $230 for a 2217 Classic Eheim (normally $330) on special at Hollyood and at $140 odd for a CF1000 with a third of the warranty of the Eheim easy choice.

Im not a gambling person so prefer a sure thing.

One thing with the JBL is they come with a 4 year warranty, Eheim 3yr warranty, Aqua one 12 mth warranty.

Ive always maintained the length of warranty reflects quality.

The other consideration is made in Germanyfor the Eheim & JBL versus made in China for the Aqua One.

I will be replacing my JBL crystal profi 500 with another 2217 when Hollywood specials them again.

fluvals occasionally pop up in that price range. they too are very good.

so good infact that i recently choose to get another 405 over a similar spec eheim. the eheim was more expensive but im sure would have operated exactly the same. both come with an excellent warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing with the JBL is they come with a 4 year warranty, Eheim 3yr warranty, Aqua one 12 mth warranty.

Ive always maintained the length of warranty reflects quality.

the new cf1200 that have been in stock for the last 6months are with a 3year warranty.

from experience id go with the aqua one and if you already have one and like it stick with it

• 4 weeks later...

The Pre 2008 JBL's look to be better manufactured aqua one CF's.

Considering how similar they are I would not be surprised that Aquaone or more likely JBL manufacture the same filter under licence. (JBL's one are manufactured in Germany CF in China). They (2007/08) shipped with the same media ie bioballs under the first tray then foam mats for biological and mechanical filtering.