Co2 Tablets Any Good???

cichlid7

I wonder what it does to the ph...

I've been told some use hydrogen peroxide (the cleaning/airation version) to produce air and burn out or otherwise breakdown some unwanted chemicals... I'd be assuming something is reacting to either the presence of water or the difference in acid to produce the CO2.

Budding scientists come forth and correct my ignorance and enlighten us...!

H2O2 is a peroxide not an acid. It gives off oxygen not hydrogen ions. It will not alter the pH. It will oxidise other chemicals and living things however.

Without knowing how this chemical works it is hard to know what it is doing to the water except to say that whatever it is doing would be pretty well uncontrolable. Could they be a tablet to be put in a reagent container to produce CO2?

its a weak acid though isnt it alan?

(says my uni chem book)

on further reading ive also found that h2o2 can be used in the aquarium to add o2 to the water.

also it was at some point used to control fungals on fish - but there are loads more effective methods.

but sorry .. i was always told that h202 is a peroxide(hence the name); but still has weak acidic properties.

Sera do one that you put in a container in the aquarium.

A simple and effective way to get CO2 into your tank, just pop the co2 tablet into the container it then creates and stores CO2 in a one way chamber that lets the co2 into the tank but doesn't let water in.

Which sounds a bit better than just dropping the tablet straight into the tank?

• 3 weeks later...