Cleaning filter pipes.

michael.qian

How often do you do this? Strip the entire filtration system down and flush the filter pipes?

Anything I need in particular? How is this often done?

One problem I thought of is that if I run high velocity water through the pipes, wouldn't it just be the same as when it's running normally? Thus not cleaning it at all.

Cheers

you can also push a piece of airtubing through it to work loose any gunk... then rinse and repeat. I tend to do this every second or third time I clean the filter... don't know whether I'll need to with a FX5 though :D

hmmm actually does a (dramatically) higher flow rate reduce build up? also the tubes are much bigger than my last filters which did accumulate crud in the pipes...

I use one of those flexi pipe cleaners.

Works a treat. It is amazing how much gunk is in those pipes.

I usually just turn off the filter, and clean the pipes, then turn on the filter to do a flush.

Simple and I keep the good bacteria in my filter :D

I would imagine, like I will do today, run waste fast through a hose in the opposite direction.

But if you are using chlorinated tap water you potentially kill or at least rather knock back the bacteria!

This is why I am wondering how Alanmin does it, I would be surprised if he used mains pressure.

I have a 900litre/hour eheim on a turtle tank and it gets gunged up pretty quick. I find that a major part of the restriction on the flow in the filter is the build up of crud on the inlet pipe. I disconnect the pipes to clean the filter, lightly rinse the filter itself so that only the excess crud is removed then blow water back against the normal flow with the outside tap. Our water is not chlorinated but even if it were it wouldn't kill much off in the pipe as it is the crud in the filter itself that contains most of the bugs. Cleaning the filter itself too much kills a lot of good bugs but backflowing the pipes, even with chlorinated water shouldn't do any harm to the filter itself.