sunset white cloud mountain minnows

jc360

have a young pair (the white variety) nearly a year old, they have been in their own 1ft tank for 6 weeks,

on live foods, nice clean water, xmas moss to spawn in, still no action.

Any suggestions?

just turned heater down to 24 degrees, was going to add an ice cube each night to the tank, am going to let natural osmosis do its thing and let the tank get to 60 percent full then fill with fresh clean water.

What else is there that i can try? perhaps a bigger tank outside for summer?

Personally I would say you have them too hot if your "turning the temp down to 24".. WCMM's like it pretty cold and don't really do too well in full tropical tanks, I would turn off your heater let the temp do what it wants during summer (maybe a heater set at 18 for winter so they don't get too cold) do heaps of water changes good food and they should breed.

Also the fry are friggen tiny do you know what you are looking for?

cheers guys.

Ryan do they look similar to gigantic sperm? only 2mm in length?

:lol: :lol: Ha ha, they look like tiny black slithers. like an eyelash, usually stuck on the glass for a bit then free swimming amongst the plants. that is if you have plant cover??

I would not bother with the heater at all, cause they are cold water fish.

You also may have either both females or both males. Best to get some more, at least another 4 amd get them of differing sizes so that you will at least get a pair or two.

Lots of Java Moss too, as the adults tend to eat the fry.

• 3 months later...

I used to find my wcmm fry sticking to the glass in the top corners of the tanks, hiding from their parents by living in the middle of the surface tension. They're incredibly small and I'd have to peer for some time to see them.