How to raise S.G from Freshwater to Full Marine

danilada

I am hoping for S.G to be 1.018 as I do not have a skimmer . . . yet!

whats salinity got to do with a skimmer?

amount to add is on the back of the bag - just be aware it changes with temperature so heat the water as well. best to add a little at first then measure and see what change X litres makes. then work out from there and bring it up slowly.

bring the sg up slowly like 0.02 a week . you dont need a skimmer and it will not work very well at 0.018 aneway if you were to decide to go full marine 0.024 (i think) a skimmer would be a better option as its a very good from of filtration for salt water. you could also use a cannister filter or a sump filter but you would be doing a lot more waterchanges than if you had a skimmer and the salt can get expensive

I'm skeptical that is the case. Fish usually do not need to purge salt as much as they need to retain water that would move out of their cells into the water by osmosis. If the salinity drops that basically results in huge volumes of water going into their cells and bursting them if they can not get rid of that water.

Do you feel healthier and happier if you're stuck in a room that's at 98°F?

I'd like to see proof that a lower salinity than a fish is evolved to handle is less stressful for it.

Freshwater fish is surrounded by water which is less dense than its body fluids. Due to osmosis, water is absorbed into the body and a fish must excrete water constantly so that it does not burst. The marine fish faces the opposite problem: it is constantly losing water to its surroundings so that it must drink copious amounts of water and excrete salts through the gills. So if there is a lower S.G, there is less energy loss to drinking and excretion of salts.

I'm skeptical that is the case. Fish usually do not need to purge salt as much as they need to retain water that would move out of their cells into the water by osmosis. If the salinity drops that basically results in huge volumes of water going into their cells and bursting them if they can not get rid of that water.

Do you feel healthier and happier if you're stuck in a room that's at 98°F?

I'd like to see proof that a lower salinity than a fish is evolved to handle is less stressful for it.

I agree - humans are 90% water - maybe we would all be happier sitting in a luke-warm bath?

I read an interesting article in Advanced Aquarists about this, the writer said lower salinity is less stressful for the fish, and "could" be used to help with acclimitising fish or getting finicky fish to eat. It did state in the article that they shouldn't be left in there for extended periods of time, from memory is was about 2-3 months.

That's just rubbish - its about as scientific as astrology and often used as a weak excuse to skimp on buying salt and doing proper maintenance. When all is said and done the most successful keepers reproduce as close as possible the natural conditions of the fish / coral, and keep them that way - maintaining water quality is paramount. Boring, but paramount.