Crypt

phoenix44

So today i managed to get hold of about 11 plants that are some sort of crypt.

when i removed the lead weights, and separated the plants there turned out to be about 20 plants :bounce: so yay for me!

what i need to know are what conditions this plant will thrive in. ive read a little online, and it says the plant is v. hardy and does well in strong lighting. I also would like to know more about this plant and would like a definite ID.

Thanks!

DSC03835Small.jpg

DSC03834Small.jpg

DSC03833Small.jpg

It's a bit hard to tell. They look like they have been grown emersed and I don't grow Crypts emersed. Most Crypts like soft acid water, except balansae and the ones from Sri Lanka like wendtii, petchii, walkeri etc. where the water can be quite hard. Come back when they are submersed and the leaf changes or see if supasi has one looking similar.

they have been kept for about a week underwater and havent died yet. but i presume the leaves will fall off now that i have bought them. :evil:

i hope they grow well in the tank, and if they die, and I am unable to care for them - would you like to adopt some crypts? lol

I may be able to help here Phoenix.

Just give me till tomorrow when I get home and compare with mine that are growing emersed.Im Away from home tonight.

I think alan is correct in saying they loo likt they have been grown emersed.

Where did you come by these? Dont want actual names, but did you get through work? or from anothe hobbiest?

Most crypts will do well in low to medium lighting and as Alan said, most prefer acid conditions, except a few as named.

Crypts will melt usually when they are exposed to changing conditions, ie temp ,ph or the roots are disturbed.

In saying that, I Have a bunch that are moved regularly from tank to tank with only lead weight and they still manage to survive and not 'melt'.

They seem to do better when planted into a mature tank

They are heavy root feeders, so plonk a couple of JBL 7 Balls in with them and leave them, only removing leaves as the melt.

it may seem as though all hope is gone, but leave them and in no time if they are happy will grow back twice as large.

I LOVE CRYPTS :bow::bow::wink:

PS, If you dont want them, PM me and I will take em :wink:

Will get back to you with ID

oh and with the JBL balls... do i have to cover them with the sand substrate, or can i just leave them on the surface. the tank has a healthy layer of laterite at the bottom. but it gets regulat flourish, plant gro, and flora pride treatments.

i was looking at importing some conc. ferts from the states though.

Plant the plants and then using your fingers, place JBL ball next to the base of the plant and push it into the substrate.Its easy to do. But make sure you put it where you want it now, cos as Dixon stated, once wet they go soft like mud balls and can cause algae bloom if disturbed, clouding water.

Add a new one after about a year or so.

Its only an expensive hobby if you make it one.

cool as... i shall get some of those and some more black sand (although it took 4 weeks for this lot to come from S.A :evil: :cry: ), and I will plant the JBL fert and then cover it with more sand.

thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. hopefully my plants do well in this tank. shall be very depressed if they do not.

A case in point - this was sold to me as Cryptocryne lutea.

crypt-lutea-01.jpg

Straight from the LFS

crypt-lutea-02.jpg

New leaves after three weeks in the tank, fuzzy pic is because of high water flow in tank.

I also have lucens, but it has kept its original leaf shape from when I bought it.