laptop help?

imsweet

We have bit the bullet and brought a second hand laptop. It's an IBM thinkpad A20m. The ad for it said it had CD & DVD drive. the only thing is we cant seem to play any CD's or DVD's?? they dont run when put in (like on this one) and in [my computer], there's no option to open it or anything. so here i am again asking for help. I have googled it but all that stuff doesnt make much sense. I've also emailed the guy we got it off but being new years and all........ cant expect too much today. Any help would be great,,,,, thanks :wink:

We have bit the bullet and brought a second hand laptop. It's an IBM thinkpad A20m. The ad for it said it had CD & DVD drive. the only thing is we cant seem to play any CD's or DVD's?? they dont run when put in (like on this one) and in [my computer], there's no option to open it or anything. so here i am again asking for help. I have googled it but all that stuff doesnt make much sense. I've also emailed the guy we got it off but being new years and all........ cant expect too much today. Any help would be great,,,,, thanks :wink:

Where did you bring the laptop from?

Would help if you mentioned what OS you have. I'm guessing probably Vista, I haven't touched that yet. In XP though you can start up Windows explorer, right click on the drive in the left hand pane, properties and then select all the autoplay options under the auto play tab. Easiest would probably be to set them all to ask every time.

Put a commercial music CD in and see if that plays (not a home made one). This will show you if the drive itself is working. However, if autoplay is turned off go to Start, My Computer and see if the CD is listed there. It should have something like CD or DVD Drive listed. If it has, click on it and you should see a list of track numbers. Double click on one and it should play. This will show us that the drive actually exists, as far as XP is concerned, and that it can read a music disc which should be one of the easiest things to do.

Let us know how you get on with this and we will go from there :wink:

Thanks Caryl, put in a cd and it started to whizz around liek all the other times then just stops. Going to start, my computer it has: shared documents. user documents. under hard disk drives: local disk © devices with removable storage: 3 1/2 Floppy (A)

This is the email i got back just now:

I got my son to put a new hard drive in as the old one died, and he

fitted a new CD writer/DVD-rom in it as well (IBM 24X is the old cd-rom

drive and it still works.) The DVD drive should work though keeping in

mind that it will be set to zone 4 dvds only, try downloading a program

like powerdvd and installing that on the laptop and seeing if that helps

It isn't recognising the hardware setup. Go to Start, Control Panel, then click on System. Under system properties, click on Hardware then device manager. It should have a list of stuff in there. It will start at the top in alphabetical order. Partway down you should find DVD/CD Rom drives or similar. Now, assuming that's there, click on the wee + sign beside that it should show you the DVD manufacturer. If it isn't there, the plus sign isn't there, or the DVD/CD Rom category is not there, that means the drive is not being recognised as existing at all. You need to go back to who you got it from in that case as they have done something wrong or have not used a compatible make or model.

It is possible special drivers are required but not normally.

Ok, will try that tonight, i cant connect to internet (to download a dvd media player) as it only came with a modem connection card thing and not a network card for broadband. Least it think thats right......... google said so. Thought i'd take it into dick smith and plead for help. :lol: You never know.