Live food: Moths?

Romeo

Gidday, I left my window open in the study last night and a horde of moths slowly accumulated. Couldn't be bothered dealing with them so just turned out the light and went to brush my teeth, came back 5 minutes later to see that a couple had crawled inside my fishtank to get at the light. Well damn me if my Inanga didn't start jumping out of the water and picking them off the glass lid! A good 5-6 cm ;D.

So, this has me thinking. Is it possible to devise some sort of live Moth trap? So I can feed them a more natural, and more importantly, FREE diet of juicy moths?

Has anyone got any applicable schematics or diagrams laying about?

Cheers,

Romeo

i open the curtains and leave the ranchslider door closed with lights on in house then go out and pick the big moths of the glass for my dragons i just thro them in the tank and i dont need to put the lid on cause the moths stay in there after the light(dont take long for dragons to catch) :P

Awesome Romeo!

What about one of those electric bug zappers? Would wind up with quite a collection I imagine, just tip the proceeds into the tank without risk of filling your house with mosquitos etc.

Apparently when inanga take large moths and similar, they try to grab them by the abdomen, then go down and bash off the head and thorax thus getting rid of the wings while eating the fattest bit. I haven't seen this myself, but I haven't fed them decent moths either.

There is a fairly commonly reproduced photo of an inanga with a moth in its mouth. Amazingly it is in prefect focus, and I imagine you are now quite aware of what an inanga does when it has a moth in its mouth - zooms all over the tank with its prize! Part of me wonders if the bashing off of the head and thorax was actually a side effect of careless zooming...

I might try getting some moths tonight, they gather around my outside light. :)

The lid on my tank is in 4 pieces, and I have the two front pieces of glass permanantly removed. Moths just end up in there as they are attracted to the light. Crans bullies go for them hard. Slightly off topic, just lately I have discovered their alltime favourite food... baby koura. Got some large adult koura for a xmas snack and a lot of them had baby koura under their tails which I simply scraped off into the tank.

moth trap

light bulb with fan above blowing doward into a bag/sack etc

moths/bugs go toward light fan blows em into the bag/catcher

(something ive wanted to try just never got around to it)

tj thorntons frog book has a moth trap with light bulb and reflector then bag with funnel below, moths hit reflector then fall into funnel/bag etc

otherwise turn on outside light at night and have fun catching them you may get some juicy huhu beetles to if your lucky :lol:

• 3 years later...
moth trap

light bulb with fan above blowing doward into a bag/sack etc

moths/bugs go toward light fan blows em into the bag/catcher

(something ive wanted to try just never got around to it)

tj thorntons frog book has a moth trap with light bulb and reflector then bag with funnel below, moths hit reflector then fall into funnel/bag etc

otherwise turn on outside light at night and have fun catching them you may get some juicy huhu beetles to if your lucky :lol:

you mean this contraption?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=50784&hilit=jar

:spop:

I met a lady the other day that had a scaled down model which she used to catch neonate locusts because arthritus was making her fingers a little too slow and awkward. It was two tubes into a little jar and the suckie mota was her sucking on it. It worked well. Might have to make one.

I went another way with my moth trap (found some ideas via google) and did build this trap yesterday. I turned it on yesterday before dark and after 2 hours I have had enough moths for months...

mothrap.jpg

mothrap2.jpg

as I use most of the moths for my Axolotl and I feed them by hand the moths do not need to be alive. can I freeze them so they stay 'fresh' ?