Please help with Firebellied newt questions

bedazzled

Hi all :D

I am considering getting a couple of fire bellied newts, I have an old tank here that I would like to turn in a happy home for them. But I am not sure if it is big enough....

What would be the smallest size you could keep them in?

Are they social critters or would 1 on its own be happy?

Just doing some research before I look at it any further.

Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated :bow:

Thanks

Bedazzled :)

The tank I am hoping to make their home is 370mm x 250mm x250mm, so perhaps I could get 1 in there or a pair?

I haven't seen any in the LFS up here and I see some one has some listed on that auction site but will only sell in lots of 5! :roll: Hopefully my LFS can order some in for me

I have two breeding pairs in a terrarium wich is 1.25 sq ft. and 17 newly morphed yougsters in a tank that gives them 0.07 sq ft each and I will probably halve that in the next few weeks.

I wish you were in the north island!

I have just been out and about to the pet shops up here trying to see if they can order them in for me and the answer was a resounding NO! They are not on their lists.

One place suggested talking to the reptile park at Leigh, so I have flicked them an email and am waiting for a reply *sigh* looks like I may have to change my plans

She must of just relisted them lol I had them on my watch list and they closed. Thanks.

A friend got me some chinese as eggs a couple of weeks ago from up north somewhere and they all survived OK.

The guy at the pet shop made it sound really difficult to raise them from this stage..... How hard is it?

What are the best options for feeding? housing etc? And how long does it take for them to morph/change?

Sorry about the 50 questions but it is nicer to ask some one that actually knows rather than rely on information off the net or people that have never kept them etc

Chinese Fire Bellied Newts I think.

In that last auction, some one had asked and they are chinese, which is the type I would prefer any way

:bounce: YAY!! All is not lost.

Going to check out the Reptile Park at Leigh tomorrow, even if they have none it looks like a cool place to visit :D

I feed mine on live brine shrimp nuplii and occasionally microworm and daphnia. I keep them in seperate containers where each lot are within a week to 10 days of the same age and completely change the water every 3 days. Then feed whiteworm, daphnia and bloodworms after about 2-2.5 months. They are pretty hardy once morphed. Keeping fire-bellied newts is a good and cheap book worth getting and is relevent to New Zealand.

Thanks for all the advice guys :D

Saw about 8 Japanese fire bellied Newts at the reptile park today, they are sooooo cool! They were really active too, swimming about the whole time I was watching :bounce:

The owner of the place even let me handle a beardie :bounce: :bounce: I would highly recommend a visit to The Reptile Park at Leigh, well worth the dodgy drive we took through the back roads lol My partner was not so keen on the back roads and I wasn't either once we began but was definately worth it in the end!

We need one in Wellington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some great photos that I will get around to posting in a day or 2.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself today :D :D

After holding the beardie I said.... I want one of these now lol got a terrible look from my partner :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I have two breeding pairs in a terrarium wich is 1.25 sq ft. and 17 newly morphed yougsters in a tank that gives them 0.07 sq ft each and I will probably halve that in the next few weeks.

Firstly: I am new to this forum and I am hoping in the future to get some firebellies myself.

alan4304: are the dimensions correct above? ie 2 breeding pairs (4 newts in total) in a space a little bigger than 30x30 cm? or 1.25 ft? If it is than I'd be happy as we have limited room in the living room, and it would otherwise mean a large tank in the spare bedroom.

:bounce:

It is an eko terra terrarium rather than an aquarium and those dimensions are correct. A lot comes down to how much time you want to put in to maintaining the system. The larger the setup the less often you have to clean. They need a clean environment including water. They must be happy as they have been laying eggs for some time and still are.

It is an eko terra terrarium rather than an aquarium and those dimensions are correct. A lot comes down to how much time you want to put in to maintaining the system. The larger the setup the less often you have to clean. They need a clean environment including water. They must be happy as they have been laying eggs for some time and still are.

If it is not too much bother could you describe your feeding and cleaning regime? I have plenty of spare time, in the morning and at night during the week and basically lots in the weekends... and would enjoy a high level of interaction with the little critters.