Fish Flashing and clamped fins

Matt

Hi All,

Some of the fish in two of my tanks are flashing against driftwood, plants etc and have clamped fins, a couple have also got red gills. I have been to the LFS and asked for a cure for Gill Flukes and they gave me Furan-2 which I was going to use on my 80 litre tank at work before using it on my 250l at home. I haven't used it yet as I couldn't find any decent information on what it is or any side-effects and it is rather expensive, especially to dose my 250 litre tank. Does anyone have any other opinions on what is causing this and/or any other medications/steps to take? It doesn't appear to be whitespot and I have closely inspected each fish and couldn't see any thing on any of them.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

As far as I know Furan 2 works very well. Have not heard of any side effects. If you do not want to treat the whole tank, try quarantining the sick ones in a smaller tank and dosing them there hoping it hasn't spread to the rest of the fish who just haven't started showing any symptoms yet.

The only thing I have ever had to medicate my fish for was white spot many years ago so I cannot help you with actual med information. Hopefully someone else can.

Thanks Caryl,

I think I will treat the whole tank just to be safe. If it works I will treat my larger tank with it as well.

I found some info on the Furan 2 (should have used google the first time around :oops: ).

Taken from http://www.brooklands.co.nz/pharma/medications.htm

"Furan-2 Capsules contain two furan compounds to combat a wide variety of gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases, including gill disease, mouth fungus, furun-culosis (aeromonas), black molly disease (columnaris), fin and tail rot, and dropsy.

Active Ingredients: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and methylene blue trihydrate. "

Cheers,

Matt

i would check for ph and ammonia as pegasus said.

i wouldnt have sold furan but give it a go.

be warned it stains your tank and i would use cycle after using it .oh and if you have carbon take it out.

if they arent right by next week you can use my diaton filter, i will take it to the next fish club meeting if you are going or you can get it from my shop because that will help them.

Hi Kim & Bill,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't used the Furan2 yet as I don't like using medications unless I have to, I just did a 40% water change and a good vacuum, especially under the plants, and was amazed at the muck that came out :o . I have to admit to neglecting my tank at work seeing as I know have three at home - the addiction is growing and I am running out of room :D .

The fish look a lot happier but are still flashing and clamping occasionally. I will do another smaller water change and vacuum tonight and see if anything improves.

I will be at the meeting Kim. Is Alan still coming? Thank you for the offer of the diatom filter if things haven't improved next week I will call out to your shop and borrow it as I haven't been to your shop for a while.

Thanks,

Matt