Someone want to try indentify these bristle nose?

Insect Direct

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Yes they look like common bns but theyre not - not sure why 2 on left in first pic appear gold pics were taken in pitch black (at night) with flash on camera maybe stressed. anyway these are darker than common bn female gets slight bristles and generally are darker in appearance - fry especially dark pretty much black

also in certain light have a metallic gold like shene to them (sorta see on large male in second pic) if that makes sence (prob not but hey i dont make sence whats new :lol: )

hardly see them as they just doing there own thing in tank with little tlc but noticed male getting rather large possibly bigger than commn bns recently and his bristles havent even branched yet.

food for thought, anyone want to geuss what they are feal free.

Where did they come from?

Did you get them from a particular source , and how much do you know of their history?

Common Bn's here could be any number of ancistrus species, and your are most probably just another combination of a hybrid union.

I've got some similar to yours, some smaller and darker, some with yellow tips to tails etc.

Many plecs will have a metallic sheen to them on closer inspection

Unless they were bought as a particular species through an importer. But Even they will creatively attempt to name a ancistrus species based on marketing rather than fact.

Unknown ancistrus hybrid is my suggestion, depends how creative you want to be I guess. cleans the same though eh?

I have a few and the ones that are cruising on the back stones are nice an dark but i have one that stays close by to an ornament which is a blotchy tan/black colour. it's always blotchy looking too, like it's missing some colour, perhaps the same?? i know you said yo took pic at night etc but if theyre always by a lighter colour???? defence mechanisim?

came from a breeder in welly a year or 2 ago i suppose- he will post if he chooses to. pretty sure theres been posts in past about these...

Not normally blochy - yes i know bns go blotchy if you upset them but generally these are dark/black especially the fry. my pics arnt to flash but you get that

prob just some hybrid i agree just thought some catfish guru maybe able to shed some light, theyre very similar to com bns but imo theyre not (you sorta need to see them in flesh) hence why i never mixed them up and wouldnt want them x'd to them in future etc.

I have kept and bred a fair few commons and none looked quite like these.

and yep cleans the same as bns almost even looks the same :lol:

I think they are just standard colour and pattern variations. Probably some gold morphs in the lineage somewhere too.

Some of my females get quite long, straight bristles around the mouth but other don't. A bit like the males' bristle length, and amount of curl, varies between the fellas.

Hi

Look like the Bushinnose i imported from Peru about 2 years ago..I have some here and did zip yet...But photo is not that good but think thats them...

I was told by one that the spots on common appear to be not on the surface and Peru's are more visable..Take a close look...........Worked on mine...Phill

• 1 month later...

Well I just found this thread...

They came from me.

No Phil not from you and the babies don't look at all like the ones you got in.

They came to me directly from a commercial import - direct from Peru as A. hoplogonus but they are clearly not that sp., so there is no NZ hybrid in them either.

They are a bushy nose Ancistrus rather then a bristle nose = females have bristles.

When you see them up close they look nothing like pure common b/n.

You can clearly see separations on the skull between the large head scales and there head is flatter compared to common b/n.

They do look smiler to hybrid common b/n, but so do many wild species of Ancistrus.

• 2 months later...