I'm angry

Susi

Hi everybody, I would just like your opinion on that one. We have set up our tank a little while ago with little knowledge in the field. We did read a bit about fish, tanks ect. and had to relay a lot on staff in fish shops. When be bought gravel for our 180l tank we where told to buy a bag of bird grid and mix 1/3 into the gravel so it would stabilize the ph level.

We have done that and had ever since a way to high ph. I have spoken to 3 different people about it and none of them had ever heard such a thing. So here I am trying to pick every single little shell out of 30kg of gravel :evil: It isn't much fun to do and to be honest I really had enough of it. I think the easiest way would be to replace the whole lot of gravel. I'm thinking I should go back to that store and speak to the manager and tell them that it would only appropriate if they would pay for the new gravel or refund me the old one (as I'm surely not going back as a customer in the future)

What would you do?

Thank you for all the help,

Susi

Susi I feel your pain

Yes go back to the shop you purchased the stuff from and confront the person you talked to then the manager.

get your refund or replacement bag of stones.

This is definitly the first time i have hear d of using bird grid. stones alone would be suffice.

im happy to say it wasnt my shop :D

but if i had upset a customer or one of my staff has i would want to know.

Susi is a customer of mine and i really feel for her.

Susi come down the our club meeting one night and you cam meet some really great people that can help you enjoy fish keeping, we also do lots of fun things out side of the club.

Using oyster grit has been recommended in the UK Practical Fishkeeping Magzine. It does work really well used in small doses. I would only add 2-3 tsp to a 50 litre tank and retest after a couple of days. I use it in my store (and know of other stores that use it). It sure beats using litres of Ph Up with no effect. Tap water here just has no buffering. I would not recommend throwing the stuff in a new tank.

Hi, I have spoken to the people down there and they will replace 50% of the gravel for me. So I'll go down there today and get the stuff.

How should I go with changing it? Should I take all the plants and fish out first, or just scoop the gravel up? And do I wash the new gravel with tap or fishtank water?

I'm not really sure on how to do this...

susi

susi if you want i have some big bins that i leaned out , you can put the water from your tank in them and your fish , take the gravel out and do wash the new gravel just in tap water and set it up as before, give me a call at work if you want the bins, 4806846.

they are at home but my partner can give them to you.

Oh my good what have I done...???

My day was a complete disaster. We went to Jansen’s and bought a 20kg bag of gravel for $54!!! (I find that very expensive) They paid half so it was only $27 for us. I had 3 huge bins from Kim so we got all the fish, plants, gravel and water out of the tank. What a mission that was. Water everywhere... (We had a late night on Saturday and my partner was hangover too)

After we managed to empty the tank and washed the new gravel we started putting it all back together again. I thought I'd take the opportunity to put some plant fertiliser under the gravel as well. I wish I didn't. We must have done something wrong; because the water now is so muddy that we can't see anything in the tank anymore. No plants, no heater no nothing! The fish are back in the tank now and I just hope they are going to be okay.

Oh well at least we don't have anymore bird grid in the gravel!

Thanks Jansen’s!

No problems with the Fertiliser (so long as you've used the right stuff???)

My tank went cloudy too when i first set it up and added fertiliser to the gravel (did you do it in two layers???? one with the fert, and a top one without???)

It may take a few days for the fertiliser to settle, but your fish will be fine, however they may keep stirring it up for a while longer....I found you may want to "dust" the plants from time to time.........stops them looking "snowed on" and may in some cases stop the plants being "burnt" by the fertiliser

Just give the tank some time,and all will return to normal....

ChrisMack

It's been a few hours now and we still can't see any fish, unless they are really close to the glass... I haven't planted the plants yet as I would have no idea where to put them - I can't see them! I'm really starting to get worried. But I'll see how it looks in the morning. I've just turned the filter back on, maybe that will help. I just hope the fish will be fine.

It is just so horrible looking at the tank, it looks like "mud soup"

hows the water looking now?

i went round to look at susi tank on monday i found the problem the minute i looked at the tank, and it is something that alot of people do when setting up tanks with plant food under the gravel so she was not alone, she set up an undergravel filter in her tank and the plant food was put on top of the gravel plate,

even people that have had tanks for years can do the same thing so i told her to turn it off and just leave the filter to do the cleaning .

i hope its looking better susi and you can soon enjoy your tank again.

Hi Kim, it may look at little bit better nut really not much. I just haven't had time to call you yet. But Todd will be home all day tomorrow so I'll get him to clean the filter, maybe that will make a difference. Waht should we do next, should we try that special filter of yours? Or do you think we have to change some more water?

I haven't been home much this week - it's a good thing thoug, cause I don't have to look at the tank so much then...it looks so sad!