December 14, 200817 yr comment_280068 Can we get it here, for the treatment of fish with HITH disease? Report
December 14, 200817 yr comment_280071 I heard you can get it from the Docs - cos Metro's used to treat Giardia Report
December 14, 200817 yr comment_280072 Is a prescription only medication You need to get your vet to prescribe. Good luck comes in 400mg tabs or 500mg in 100ml NaCl. This would dose a 40l tank once. Once again Good luck. Navarre Report
December 14, 200817 yr Author comment_280082 Is a prescription only medication You need to get your vet to prescribe. How does one go about this? I am picking the vet has never heard of Hexamitiasis and is not used to diagnosing/treating fish....... Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280089 go to the vet at animate. you will have to pay a consult and they will sell you the tab. they might want you to bring the fish in lol. Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280094 It is also possible to get it through a doctor, dentist or pharmacist, if you happen to have a tame one or have a need to visit one anyway. Do you have any authoritative-looking fish books that you can take with you that mention the disease and met. as a treatment? IIRC it is also called Flagyl, just in case that name crops up in conversation. Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280107 Pretend you went bush a few weeks ago and have chronic stomach aches and visiting the toilet every half an hour, since drinking water from one of the streams. Maybe they will prescribe some for your imaginary Giardia.LOL :lol: :lol: Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280108 dont do that they will want a spec first and then maybe an exam. be up front with pharmacy or vet or Dr should be no prob its just teh doses needed are high is all. HTH Navarre Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280109 I tried my vet a couple of weeks ago. The vet nurse rung Brooklands and got told there was no cure and they would put it down. They also rung our LFS which is funny because there has been times when I have had more fish than them but they also said no cure. So no one would help me. My oscar has it badly up to the not eating stage now. I even explained it to the vet nurse. They have just decided to ignore me after they rung the specialists, I don't even know whether they ever asked the vet. So am just waiting for her to pass on now sadly. Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280112 I tried my vet a couple of weeks ago. The vet nurse rung Brooklands and got told there was no cure and they would put it down. They also rung our LFS which is funny because there has been times when I have had more fish than them but they also said no cure. So no one would help me. My oscar has it badly up to the not eating stage now. I even explained it to the vet nurse. They have just decided to ignore me after they rung the specialists, I don't even know whether they ever asked the vet. So am just waiting for her to pass on now sadly. There is a difference between treatment and cure Report
December 15, 200817 yr Author comment_280114 Sheesh, thats like an insurer ringing the car dealer to ask if they should write off a car... :lol: I'm taking teh cat to the vet tonight so I'll try then. Report
December 15, 200817 yr Author comment_280128 comes in 400mg tabs or 500mg in 100ml NaCl. This would dose a 40l tank once. Vet was only too happy to prescribe it, said its pretty harmless, and that I would know more than him so he trusted me. Got 5 400mg tablets, do I just dissolve them and add to the water? Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280129 you can dissolve and add to the water, or if your fish is still eating you can mix up in their food and administer it that way Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280132 Pretend you went bush a few weeks ago and have chronic stomach aches and visiting the toilet every half an hour, since drinking water from one of the streams. Maybe they will prescribe some for your imaginary Giardia.LOL :lol: :lol: By the way, I was joking!!!!! Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280133 Check out this site. Has all medication required for fish http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/ Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280135 Metro should be easy to get if you have a friendly vet, hopefully you can ring and talk to them and only pay a dispensing fee, if your unlucky then you need to pay a consult and maybe take in the fish.. Most important thing about treating with metro is it only lasts 8 hours in water so you need to dose it daily with water changes 1 400mg tab per 40L of water. Tropheus good link, how do you go getting prescription drugs sent into NZ though? Report
December 15, 200817 yr Author comment_280136 How many times should I dose it? I only got 5 400mg tablets. Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280139 ...Most important thing about treating with metro is it only lasts 8 hours in water so you need to dose it daily with water changes 1 400mg tab per 40L of water... Daily is what you need to do I think its for 2-3 treatments and then again a week later to break the cycle as the metro will only kill the worms and not the eggs.. Unless you're treating a tiny tank you probably don't have enough to do much.. Also remember that metro isn't the be all and end all of treating worms it is only effective on certain types of them so might not do anything at all. Report
December 15, 200817 yr Author comment_280143 Its only a 60L tank, so I've got enough for 3 threatments, and I'm sure they would be happy to give me more. Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280147 Id drop the water level to 40L if I could then you have 5 treatments.. With the daily water changes while you are treating then it will be enough to keep the water quality up, if your worried cut back on food etc while you only have 40L in the tank. I recently treated a 120 x 45 x 45cm tank and only had 9cm of water in the bottom (modified the filter intake and stuck the heater to the bottom) just to save on drugs.. Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280156 Its only a 60L tank, so I've got enough for 3 threatments, and I'm sure they would be happy to give me more. 400mg/40ltrs water is the dose rate. Recomended do redose daily after a big waterchange for a period of 7 days. You'll have to increase the temp to 32-33 deg with an airstone for airations. A mortar and pastel is the easiest way to grind the med into powder. Add a few drop of water and grind to paste. Fill it up and grind to stir and tip into tank. It is also a good time to feed the fish at the same time. hth, ron Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280195 correct me if i am wrong, i normally soaked the fish food(mainly tetra colour bits and freeze dried bloodworm) with the disolved metro before i dump the solvent into the tank Report
December 15, 200817 yr comment_280214 i tell my vet that i want to treat my whole 200l tank which is like 5 tablets a time, two times a day for one week so i normally get about 70tablets lol Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.