when plecos get nasty

flatfish

This is probably worth posting as I wasn't aware that small largely vegetarian plecos could do so much damage to each other.

In my 6 foot tank, my dominant male flash pleco has been showing signs of breeding for a while now but with no result. Sometime friday night he decided that his bamboo cave was not as desirable as one of the other caves held by my male mustard spot pleco and got a little bit nasty on the other male. The beaten male has exposed flesh on each side of the head at the base of where his interopercular odontodes (the facial whiskers at each side of the head) should be.

He's now in another tank and will hopefully recover but he's taken one heck of a beating. I suspect that the male was trapped in the bamboo cave for some time.

2905789100100841066S500x500Q85.jpg

Yeah i agree they are hardy. Hopefully It'll recover. It's also likely going to lose its two mouth barbels as they have turned white. I guess when hes been gouged with teeth used to rasp wood theres going to be a bit of damage. Hopefully that rush of testostorone might get the male flash breeding. He's got two girls waiting by the cave at the moment. :)