My 3ft Tank Updated 18-12-08(video added)

Andrew_W

The tank that trademe built...with HEAPS of help from pupuke aquarium center

VIDEO 18-DEC-2008 (Click to watch)

(11-DEC-2008)

DSC01592.jpg

Still has a small algae problem, with brown stuff on my swords.

Setting up:

Heater: 300W Rena SmartHeater

Filter: Aqua One CF1200

Lights: 6x 39W T5, Currently only running 2 or 4 at a time.

Substrate: JBL AquaBasis plus, and gravel.

Under Gravel Heater: Red Sea Root Therm

CO2: Compressed Eheim Professional CO2-Set, JBL Proflora 220G bottle...Currently not being used, until the new year.

Plants:

alternanthera rosaefolia

alternanthera rubra giant form

bacopa amplexicaulis monnieri

Echinodorus amazonicus

Echinodorus tenellus

hygrophila angustifolia

ludwigia perennis

ludwigia repens

Microsorum pteropus

rotala macrandra

saururus cernuus

zealandia grass

Fish are currently being borrowed from other tank, until I get discus :bounce:

DSC01526.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

Made a hood, and base at work.

DSC01545.jpg

with the wood stained same colour as dresser.

DSC01557.jpg

no money has been spared here looks great!

HAHA I had no intention on blowing the budget out that big, and when I look at some of the marine setups on tradme, it gets a bit depressing

:lol:

Alot of it was pretty cheap.

tank was $30, 220g CO2 bottle with regulator was $50, 45 plants for $20. Plus some daughter plants from my other tank. Driftwood was $25 for two massive pieces, which I had to chop up cause it wouldn't fit. :cry:

hood probably cost like $50. And I got a 4x T5 unit with tubes for $250.

tank looks awesome! can only imagine how great it will look when the plants grow in.... and with that substrate! lol can't go wrong there! :bounce:

Thanks fingers crossed.

Can someone tell me if I can somehow get that brown stuff off the plants? wiping it off maybe?

Thats gonna be a neat looking tank once it matures.

Discus will look great in there.

Are you using Pupukes display tank as an inspiration.( I love that tank and alway make a point of stopping in to check it out when Im up that way)

The brown algae will disapear once the tank stabilizes.

The joys of living in Auckland. You guys get all the bargins from TM

Thats gonna be a neat looking tank once it matures.

Discus will look great in there.

Are you using Pupukes display tank as an inspiration.( I love that tank and alway make a point of stopping in to check it out when Im up that way)

The brown algae will disapear once the tank stabilizes.

The joys of living in Auckland. You guys get all the bargins from TM

would be nice if brent would let me buy one of the the pups off those beautiful swords he has.

this was one of the main inspirations, 668ge4.jpg although it doesnt look much like it right now hopefully once the plants settle in and I know what they are going to look like, I can change this around a bit.

I think the focal point is a bit far to the left, and there is big piece of drift wood on the left (nearly sticks out of the water) and it somehow gets lost, I'm hoping that when the Macaranda behind it grows and get redder, it will stand out more. All trial and error at the moment, my tank inst exactually on the scale of this one.

i presume you have used dwarf val as the foreground running plant? if so just remember it does actually get quite big (15 - 18 cms in my tank at the moment) so prune the longer leaves only once it establishes in the tank - you will know when cause one fine day you'll be like OMG where are my fish? LOL

i presume you have used dwarf val as the foreground running plant? if so just remember it does actually get quite big (15 - 18 cms in my tank at the moment) so prune the longer leaves only once it establishes in the tank - you will know when cause one fine day you'll be like OMG where are my fish? LOL

ahh crapp forgot that in the plant list.

Its meant to be chain sword (but i think some dwarf val got in there to) in the mid foreground, with zealandia grass in the foreground, and the area off to right, tried to keep a largish area there so there was some room for fish :D

Good stuff! Wish Dave knew how to build things :roll:

Can't wait to see a pic of it with Discus!

I just hot glued it all together...LAZY I know. And originally I was going to have 2 "GLO T5" unit, and when I got the quad off trade me if didn't fit the hood, so it looks a bit rude on the inside now, and the lights just sit on top of the hood instead of inside, T5's made the water a bit hot too, so it all worked out ok.

Is it like a brown slimey algae? if it is a BN will eat it.

Hmm I have a BN I can put in there, There is a Chinese algae eater in there, will he eat it.

My BN lazier than me, and he is a scardy cat.

I dont think I can have the algae eater with the discus, so maybe it would be a good swap.

water temp is 26ish, 27ish max, will my BN be ok in that? haha probably should have found that out before I put the other fish in there too.

I second adodge - got two SAE's and the black beard algae pretty much disappeared within a week :D not to mention my SAE have definately doubled in size...contemplating on getting two more

Are these the same as golden algae eaters just not gold?

Hopefully with a bit of CO2 black beard wont be a problem.

Video added.

Got two more clown loaches, didn't realise how big there were till I got them home :lol: So they are having fun knocking the plants out, and knocking the filter outlet so it was pointing out of the water in the middle of the night, gave me a bit of a fright :lol:

still haven't got all the lights going, or the CO2.

But I have eyed out some discus for the New Year :bounce: