melanotania boesmani, breeding tips wanted

fishcrazzy

I don't have them and never breed them however I have breed a strain of M. Splendida.

Both species are breed in the same way.

Your fish are more then big enough.

To breed all you need to do is give them a place to lay there eggs, plant/spawning mop, feed normally >>assuming you feed them well.

If your fish are in a community tank the other fish will go for the eggs and or fry - that are very small.

Best to remove and place in a tank of there own, over all size not importand as long as it is not to small.

In this tank should be a sponge filter and a clump of spawning mops( dark like black, navy or deep green I use black for my killies).

The eggs have a hard shell like killies and can be picked from the mop and placed in a container of tank water with a little blue to keep fungus of the dead eggs to a minimum. Any dead eggs should be removed on a daily bases.

Eggs hatch in 10-14 days.

The fry have small mouths and need microscopic foods.

Microscopic foods:- Green water, liquid fry food #1, eggs wash and the liquid from a microworm culture. There are many others.

I can't remember how long it took before they were able to take bbs as I breed M. Splendida close to 10years ago.

Spawning Difficulty :- dead easy!!

Raising fry Difficulty :- not so easy, but not difficult.

Was this what you were after??

I am currently breeding Melanotaenia praecox (dwarf neon 'bows)

Im am doing it exactly as caserole stated, and I agree with the statement that spawning is easy, and raising fry is not so easy.

temp is about 26-27 degrees and water changes are done with cold water which makes the go nuts and spawn

due to the small size of the fry they need microscopic foods.

I use green water, liquifry #1 , micro worms, and keep adult daphnia in with the fry. The bigger fry feed on the newly hatched daphnia.

The fry grow very slowly

yep that was just the advise i needed! thanks :D:D , i put my boesmani's in there own tank with a sponge filter and covered the bottom with some java moss, have been feeding them bloodworm, checked them this morning and found some eggs! :bounce: ... thanks again for the info!

• 2 weeks later...