is this a reasonable price for steel stand

henward

The prices of the stands are as follows.

1655 mm x 505 mmx 1200mm h is $515.00 + gst

2310 mm x 490 mm x 1200 mm h is $570.00+gst

This is with an electro galv finish.

Also included are the 17 mm ply tops

the steel squares are 25x50

its the best quote so far and its from an engineering company

no

but they understand the principles i guess.

they do precision work for much bigger applications and things.

yeah, 1200 is pretty high, thats what im trying to figure out. but i want it so when you look at it its eye level. maybe a metre would suffice

ill have to see

Hi All

The last rack that I made, it's painted BLUE (piccie is on the website in "TECHNICAL" Forum) cost me about $150.00 plus the paint, about $35.00 for "Etch Primer" and spray cans and it holds four tanks 24 x 12 x 12 tanks I use for my breeding angels. :wink:

The cost of the lighting for all the tanks was about $100.00. :lol:

So all up it was a very cheap build. :roll:

:bow:

no

but they understand the principles i guess.

they do precision work for much bigger applications and things.

Make sure they understand that it is the top you need dead flat. They will effectively be building it upside down. Normally if you were making a bench (which is basically what they are doing) you would be more interested in getting the feet flat and even (so it doesn't rock) and then the top gets welded on. When making a stand you need to lock the bottom to the ground when you weld it to stop it from warping when the welding heats it up

Hi All

Let me explain if I may, as to how I built my units. :roll:

After deciding on the sizes of the tanks and the total weight per shelf I then calculated the "FRACTURE Strength per "Square cm" of the steel that was needed, thus being able to work out how thick it had to be; 1mm, 1.6mm or 3mm.

The shape was then decided so as all the tanks I had SPECIFIC DUTIES for could be accomodated in the available space. :wink:

Next was to cut all the steel to the required sizes.

Then it was layout time.

The ends were laid out first and squared and tack welded using a HIGH TENSILE BRONZE rod. (STEELBRAZE by EUTECTIC).

This type of rod has a low temperature melting point as opposed to steel rods and also flows well to give a very smooth finish without having to grind or file the joint after welding.

This rod is very high tensile compared to ordinary Bronze rods but it heat hardens. It actually hardens when it is reheated to flow into the joins, and has a TENSILE STRENGTH of 7 Tonnes per square cm.

The ends were then stood up and braced to the length of the unit and when leveled the runners were welded in place.

You can then choose how it is finished.

I had my unit sand blasted and then I finished off with Etch Primer and about four coats of top coat.

You can opt for powder coating or getting it epoxy coated, your choice.

You can buy adjustable feet which fit into the bottom of the BOX SECTION steel.

NOTE WELL:

I AM AN ELECTRONICS ENGINEER NOT A FITTER AND TURNER OR BOILERMAKER, but I actually made these racks myself unaided.

NOTE WELL:

I AM AN ELECTRONICS ENGINEER NOT A FITTER AND TURNER OR BOILERMAKER, but I actually made these racks myself unaided.

That is good to know, but as Henward manages a food outlet and probably doesn't have access to the necessary equipment I doubt he'll be undertaking such a major DIY project any time soon. Not to mention both the tanks he needs stands for hold many times more water than the combined tanks on your rack.

:wink:

The last rack that I made, it's painted BLUE (piccie is on the website in "TECHNICAL" Forum) cost me about $150.00 plus the paint, about $35.00 for "Etch Primer" and spray cans and it holds four tanks 24 x 12 x 12 tanks I use for my breeding angels.

I was basing my comments on your statement, forgive me for not knowing off the top of my head what is in your fishroom. Just for interest sake, what is the single largest tank on one of your home-made stands? 2000kg from a heap of small tanks is a different kettle of fish to >1200kg from a single large tank.

Still, it does not change the fact that Henward, or most people in fact, do not have the access to the right equipmen or the basic knowledge to be confident enough to make their own steel stands. I am by no means afraid of a bit of DIY, I have built many timber stands for large tanks, but wouldn't even entertain the idea of building a steel one given that I have zero knowledge of welding steel, or anything related to it. Good on you for having the ability to do it yourself, but don't expect other people to rush out and try it simply because you wrote a brief step by step account of how you did it yourself.

*edit* and whats with the :bow::hail::bow::hail: after every post? Are we supposed to worship you for choosing to bestow a smidgen of your vast knowledge upon us mere mortals?

Hi All,

"FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO WORSHIP ME, COOL".

I stated that I built these myself, at a very reasonable cost.

You ask what the difference is between one tank and 15 tanks?

THE ANSWER IS 14 TANKS. :lol: :lol:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING; THE TOTAL WEIGHT IS THE SAME SO SPREAD OVER THE SAME DISTANCE THE STRENGTH HAS TO BE VERY CAREFULLY SPREAD.

It is easier to support one tank from underneath than it is to support it from outside it's base area.

My inference is this:..

If I can do it for that price with little knowledge and experience, then a business that aligns themselves to this sort of work SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT CHEAPER AND QUICKER, save the labour content.

As businesses are screaming for work in these tough times you might just find that you can get it done very quickly (no waiting) and cheaply, so just shop around.

And all this information is freely given without being "SMUG", to help fellow hobbyists make a valid decision in the hobby.

You ask what the difference is between one tank and 15 tanks?

THE ANSWER IS 14 TANKS. :lol: :lol:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING; THE TOTAL WEIGHT IS THE SAME SO SPREAD OVER THE SAME DISTANCE THE STRENGTH HAS TO BE VERY CAREFULLY SPREAD.

I disagree. I think supporting a tank 8' long would have less room for error than supporting 4 2' tanks. In fact I've seen it at an old LFS, where the 24x15x15" tanks were placed in twos on 4' spans of 4x2 between the uprights, and the timber had sagged so much the top of the tanks were touching and there was about an 8-10mm gap at the bottom!! I doubt if you'd get away with that kind of unevenness over an 8' long sheet of glass.

But then again I didn't write it all in capitals so I could be wrong. :wink:

Anyway, I didn't ask what the difference is, I asked what the largest tank your home-made stands are supporting. I apologise if I have misinterpreted your posts as coming across as arrogant, I frequently deal with "older people" in both my hobbies and my work who have an attitude something like 'I'm old and have been doing this for years therefore I know all there is to be known and sure as hell ain't going to learn anything from someone under the age of 50' and subsequently have little tolerance for them.

Peace.

:hail::bow::wink:

i must agree with david here.

I am not at all a DIY man. IN fact, i get frustrated with god damn pvc pipes:D and what bloody glue to use!!

im not in a position to start a hobby of metal craft. Welding machine, sourcing metal nor have i a ute to pick up lengths of metal.

Though i appreciate your position amazon, i wish i could do that.

but i agree. Metal can be put into much stress with out bending and can support great weight, but i believe that the tolerance for mistakes on a 8 foot tank thats 1200 litres plus the tanks weight and gravel would require alot more precision and i simply do not have the expertise to do so.

150 is rather cheap. I cannot demand 200 ,300 or even 400 for this, it would take them a long time to do it, measurements and they need to pay their guys too,in fact i would worry if someone was to do it that cheap.

steel alone is almost 150 for square tube steel.

anyways AMAZON, if you are willing to do it for me for 150, for each stand, then you are welcome:) in fact how about 200 per stand:D

no one here will dedicate their time for someone who will not reward them with nough cash to justify the time involved in this.