best media for a 404 fluval?

mj

ah cheers... well i got some pre filter in the bottom tray (got enough to do the second if needed, got wool in the second now and wondering whether to do 2 trays of bio at the top, or 2 trays of wool in the middle ...

as in the pebble thread this is for a malawi cichlids tank

actually I saw that ehime substrate, might grab some of that

:)

You have sponges in the 2 standing up trays don't you? I would just stick some sponge in the bottom of the bottom tray and load the rest up with bio media.. Bio media is one of the most important things in the filter and you should try and get as much as you can in there.

If you want substrate for your african tank that is white you should try and get argonite (can't spell it) or crushed coral.. Keep an eye out on trademe or make a post on here it can be hard to come by at times but marine guys use it all the time.

yeah got the front sponges in ... thanks to all the helpful info (gets confusing with all the options!) will take your advice on the filter ryan and yeah I'm looking at getting the aragonite seeing as getting white polished pebbles isn't exactly working at the moment