[Help please!!] Ar 850 tank with 8 Discus

Servitude

Hey guys, im new to the forum! i have had a read around and love it!

I just have a few questions!

I am wanting to put an external canister filter, but heres where the problems start.

1- which one can i use? there is only a small gap on the left side of the filter box (i think it is for cables) and not sure which filters will have the correct sized tubing to go inside (would like to keep the top lid fully inplace eg light and top filter box). I have been told the Eheim Classic 2213 model will fit as it has 12mm tubing.

2- I understand that Neon Tetras are good with Discus, will they survive in the higher temperature waters? 28-30 deg C.

Any other tips you can give to me? I am very dedicated to my fish and will do whats best for them!

Hi and welcome to the forum

1- which one can i use? there is only a small gap on the left side of the filter box (i think it is for cables) and not sure which filters will have the correct sized tubing to go inside (would like to keep the top lid fully inplace eg light and top filter box). I have been told the Eheim Classic 2213 model will fit as it has 12mm tubing.

Most canister filters have small tubing. I find that the Fluvals have larger tubes (there will be other members that will have a better idea than me)

2- I understand that Neon Tetras are good with Discus, will they survive in the higher temperature waters? 28-30 deg C.

Yes Neons are fine in the higher temps mine are in 30*c water sometimes it gets up to 33-34*c on hot days when the lights are on.

Ar 850 tank with 8 Discus

Is that a 165L tank? (from memory i could be wrong lol)

How big are the discus?

They will need a bigger tank once they get up to about 7-8cm body size

It is recommended that for adult discus that you have 50L per discus in your case 400L but you could get away with 300L+ as long as you have a few places for them to hide Eg: behind tall plants etc...

Hope that helps

Thank you so much for your reply :D excellent advice :D

Thats correct! the AR 850 is 165L (or 155L) - man your good.

We have put in some plants, the discus right now are relatively small, maybe 3-5cm excl tail (2 baby discus maybe 2cm).

I am still debating whether to put in the neons (they are in another tank at the moment with some guppies lol). Not sure if it will crowd the AR850 tank and increase waste etc. But keen on putting them in there to make the Discus feel more safe. But yeah, i am looking for a better filter (just not really trusting the top filter that comes with the tank) -hope someone can prove me wrong.

Currently, the discus are in a smaller tank (a temp tank till we got this new one thats currently unihabited - but set up- and waiting for it to be stabilised a bit). We do water changes from 20-30% every 2 to 3 days. We leave the water over night with a heater and some Stress coat.

how often would you advice for water changes in the larger tank? say 8 discus (smallish size 6x 3-6cm, 2x <2.5cm) and maybe 20 neon tetras.

We have some catfish (not sure what breed to behonest, i think small baby pleco/bristlenose around 5cm from head to tail, and one larger bristlenose 7-8cm). Should those be put with the discus? Heard they like to attach on the discus. Tank is 59cm High.

I would say that as they are still small id be doing 25% water changes Daily

With the filtration that you are going to have on the ar850 25% every 3 days should be fine.

On My discus breeding tanks i do a 40% water daily,

Best time to do a water change is about 2 hours after feeding

Thanks! I look to be moving them to the Larger ar850 tank soon. Just wanting to make sure all the bacteria etc are in place ready to go. Still undecided on the canister filter.

(got the tank on Saturday, set up cleaned etc (was a 2nd hand tank, didn't clean the bacteria in the filter)). I wll definately have some more questions regarding Discus, just want to make sure they are safe etc.

sorry to say but most would consider that tank far too small for 8 discus, i would go with no more than 3 or 4. even then you will be doing a lot of water change.

dont want to be negative, but its easier to hear it from someone else rather than learn the hard way. its very discouraging when your beautiful discus start dropping off one by one, for what seems like no good reason.

on a positive note, if you end up with a pair, your tank will be a good size to breed in(the discus i mean)

sorry to say but most would consider that tank far too small for 8 discus, i would go with no more than 3 or 4. even then you will be doing a lot of water change.

dont want to be negative, but its easier to hear it from someone else rather than learn the hard way. its very discouraging when your beautiful discus start dropping off one by one, for what seems like no good reason.

on a positive note, if you end up with a pair, your tank will be a good size to breed in(the discus i mean)

Thanks for that, well put. Definately will be on the lookout for a bigger thak (should i be looking for a wider or a taller tank?) Not too lazy so willing to put in the work. Please tell me more!

The smaller discus would be better left in the smaller tank with up to 100% water changes daily until they grow. They will be more healthy, grow faster and get more food this way. I have 5 bigger 10cm plus discus in a 450 litre planted tank with neons, cardinals, rummynoses, corys, bn and hatchets and they still manage to pick on the smaller one of the 5 and fight daily.

The smaller discus would be better left in the smaller tank with up to 100% water changes daily until they grow. They will be more healthy, grow faster and get more food this way. I have 5 bigger 10cm plus discus in a 450 litre planted tank with neons, cardinals, rummynoses, corys, bn and hatchets and they still manage to pick on the smaller one of the 5 and fight daily.

Thanks for that. I will definately have to think things through. Would hate to have to sell them :(

Think you need to do at least 40% waterchanges per day - Discus release pheromones to suppress each other's growth hence you'd want to do consistant waterchanges. Overseas people do upto 75% waterchanges, you should take advantage of NZ's clean water to make the most of your Discus' growth.

You should have these in a bare bottom tank while this young so you'll be sure they're getting all the food you're feeding.

Think you need to do at least 40% waterchanges per day - Discus release pheromones to suppress each other's growth hence you'd want to do consistant waterchanges. Overseas people do upto 75% waterchanges, you should take advantage of NZ's clean water to make the most of your Discus' growth.

You should have these in a bare bottom tank while this young so you'll be sure they're getting all the food you're feeding.

Thank you for this, i will be stepping up the water changes. I won't put the baby baby discus in the bigger tank yet. Thanks for this info :D feel free to let me know more!