What to do when bn lay in community tank?

Nicolette

My 2 bn which I thought were still too young to be spawning just spawned in the top corner of the community tank. Looks like they quite liked the new filter. Its got quite a bit more of a current going.

Anyway. What do I do?

I have a bully of a pleco who I suspect will chomp on the wee eggs/fry given half a chance. Some neons and glowlights and 2 sae.

Can I move dad and the eggs into a breeding tank successfully? How do I get the eggs off the glass without damaging them and what do I stick them on in the breeding tank if anything?

Or do I just leave dad to his own devises until the eggs hatch and then try to separate them?

Have they laid them out in the open? BNs usually choose caves or under driftwood to lay their eggs. I have never tried to move dad and eggs so can't help you there. I found dad usually defended the eggs very well (but then mine also had them in a totally defensible area too :roll: ) and other fish didn't seem too keen to munch on BN fry (maybe the spikes have something to do with it). Why don't you leave this lot and see how they go?

yes out in the open. Top front righthand corner of the glass beside the thermometer. :-? Might have tried to lay near the driftwood but mr bling the pleco is living there and the sae took over the pipe so I guess the corners were the last option?

I have 3 very concerned children that want me to put a divider in the tank to protect them but the one I have is too small so might have to go for a wee visit down to pet store for a larger one.

Or get a breeding/fry trap and transfer eggs there. An airstone aerating would also be handy.

Survival is iffy in this case I'd say. Tell the kids it was a practices run, they got to see the eggs which is cool. Put in a little plastc pipe or ornament cave or even bamboo cave if you have one. Hopefully Dad BN will choose this for nxt time.

Well as at 5pm Monday evening we have 7 'hatched' bn babies and at least 1 more still trying to break free from the egg pile.

:bounce: The kids are pretty excited. All action around here. :P

So after staring :o at the breeding net for over an hour I thought I would let you guys know cause I think I needed a break.