YAY OUR COCKATOOS SPAWNED TOO

Dave+Amy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT WAS A SAD DAY!! I was so gutted I didn't put a posting to say the male in my community tank died last Sunday.....believe it or not I reckon it's due to spawning Gardneri Blue Killies in the same tank as he had a big chunk out of his tail and dorsal fins...long story but 6 male deaths in that tank in 10 days, the last being a Dwarf Neon Rainbow I spotted being chased relentlessly round the tank by one of the GB males already with a huge chunk out of hs tail aswell blah blah so am in the throws of trying to find 3ft tank plus plants to set up as a killifish display tank and put all my killies in it which will give me 2 free breeding tanks aswell :wink:

BEFORE I say yes to your female Amy, I'd like to find out from someone if the 2 females and 1 male can happily co-exist in the one breeding tank, approx 30 litres, I reckon yes but am only a newby :wink:

Thanks I got wrigglers from the last batch and one fry free swimming which disappeared (female must have eaten it)..

I wouldn't stick 2f and 1m in a 30L tank the first female to spawn will team up with the male and smash the crap out of the remaining female.. It may work in a bigger tank as they're supposed to be harem spawners but I haven't had much luck with that..

Oh guttered about your male..would've offered him a violence free home in my community tank...what a real shame! He was a pretty boy too - Tracy now your PM makes sense haha.

Now who's the guy that we bought these little guys and girls from?? I wouldnt mind another few....

Lol! about your comment "a violence free home in your community tank"...it can happen in any tank when spawning occurs so I;ve been told, seem to recall you said there were a few "turf wars" in your tank when you added all your rams in with the cockatoos and then your male died so could have been the same thing or stress....I was just very unlucky that my beauty boy got munched real bad. :(

As it appears to be a sensitive issue with some people on forum naming breeders of certain fish I'll send you a PM with name of who our ones came from...Good Luck!! :wink:

Hi all. My pair spawned again this morning.....their third time :bounce: . The first time they spawned the eggs were eaten, the second time they got to the wriggler stage before being eaten so this time I've removed the adults.

I was lucky enough to see them start laying and I snapped some quick pics. They aren't the best but I didn't want to disturb them with the flash too much.

I had to get to work so I couldn't watch them for very long.... but what I did get to see was very cool 8)

CockatooSpawn1.jpg

CockatooSpawn-1.jpg

CockatooEggs.jpg

For anyone who is Breeding in CHCH.

I would like to put a order in for 5 young

I'd be happy to fill that order IF I manage to get fry :lol:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Great photo's :wink:

Thanks and thanks. I noticed some white eggs this morning so I removed them. There weren't many, 10 - 15, so there's still plenty left :wink: Touch wood.