a few questions about setting up a pond

evil_elmo

i'm wanting to setup a pond, nothing crazy like Caryl one maybe 3m x 2m sizing is not confirmed yet

i have a few questions

1. fiberglass pond or pond liner from bunnings? which is better?

2. do you put gravel at the bottom of the pond or leave it bare?

3. cant really get power outside, has anyone used one of those solar powered fountains before?

cheers

Fiberglass is better, but they're more expensive and you don't have much choice of size or shape, most are small.

Bunnings pond liner is probably pretty thin and weak, I'd get something much stronger for a big pond.

You can put gravel in the bottom, or not. Your choice.

Pond liner is cheap and easy, but as Ira says its pretty weak.

For mine I dug the shape out, removed any stones, roots etc that might have a sharp edge. Then laid down some cheap weedmat as a protective layer between the soil and the polythene. For a small pond I would use one layer of polythene, but for one your size I would double layer just for the extra protection.

If your going to use gravel I would put a layer of sand or fine sifted topsoil down first, just to try and protect the polythene.

Above all, plan, think and have fun!

P.

those pond liners are all good for fish ponds ive even used them for turtles in the past, use weed mat pins above waters edge and or stones ontop looks ok, if you keep pond squarish the pond liner takes shape better as if too many bends means more creases etc

warehouse sell them for memory, not indistructable but for what it costs theyre all good imo

Anyone know where a person could get a couple stock troughs for cheap? A couple could be a quick easy way to make ponds.:)

stock troughs are generally pricey especially the plastic jobs

i found baths good and can get off tm for $1-20 but they can heat up if in full sun maybe not so bad if dug into ground.

hay i hate to be a party pooper but osh call them pools but councils may not depends on councils in your area as they may be have to be fence.

so check it out before you start as there are big finds if they dont comply.

they will know if you got a pond buy arie potos they do every year.

Swimming pools are covered by the Fencing of swimming pools Act 1987:178 Which is administered by the Department of Building and Housing.

There are exemptions to the definition of a swimming pool which include: Any excavation, structure or product which is less than 400mm deep. And

also any excavation,structure or product that has not been modified for use or intended to be used for swimming, wading,paddling or bathing.

Since this is an Act of Parliament it is not legal for a Local Authority (including one with John Banks as Mayor) to change the rules as they see fit.

The words mean what the words say, and they say:

Any swimming pool less than 400mm deep does not need to be fenced as it is not a swimming pool.

A gold fish pond that has not been modified for use or intended to be used for swimming,wading,paddling or bathing does not need to be fenced as it is not a swimming pool.

So build your pond deep enough for you fish to survive the frosts down here and breed and keep some realy good quality fish.

The fact that a child can drown in a goldfish pond or in water less than 400mm deep is not relevent to what the law requires. Any interpretation other than this by a Local Authority in my view is ultra vires

Have a good day.

I've used the pond liners from Bunnings and warehouse, but they don't survive our frosts and develop slow, really annoying leaks that you cant find or repair. I've resorted to liners from the Water garden on Blenheim Rd which really aren't too much more expensive and one in the fish pond lasted about 10 yrs with no leaks and was moved twice. ( until I removed the pond due to Leeches in the plants.) The 2 turtle ones are new but great. The liners are UV and frost and tree root resistant...but you look really funny standing in a metre deep hole with a huge black liner over your head trying to spread it out :roll: :D Also good to line the hole first with old carpet or underlay or that fake grass or similar as makes the liner sit well and reduces risk of accidental tears.

Also I had a guy here from CCC 2 wks ago who said our water level depth for a pond didn't matter, otherwise they'd have to fence all the public fountains and stuff... :D