Hmmm

yeh_buddy

Hi all,

I have a 90litre tank which houses 2 male Betta's dont worry they aren't together, just had to compress the ammount of tanks while I get ready for my move to Wanganui. I have an old male sissor tail betta that over the week I noticed lost his colour and had difficulty swimming, he was very stiff like. So I put him into a guppy breeder so its not so tiring for him to reach the surface of the water. His colour has since come back but hes not a happy chappy. Im thinking it may be old age, but if anyone else has some suggestion as to what else it could be would be greatly appreciated. Heres a picture I took about 5 mins ago of him.

RosieOGradys095.jpg

2nd problem Ive noticed my algae eater is bloated, also attached another photo, sorry its blurry but he wont sit still bloated or not.lol

RosieOGradys094.jpg

AND

Thirdly my favourite betta also seems to be showing signs of either bloat or dropsy.

What could be causing this as my water test shows, P.H 7.0 (Zomg especially for Palmy water) Ammo 0, Nitrate 0 and Nitrate 0. Theres also a UView in the tank. And as I write this I've just realised I haven't seen a poop from either one of them. Hmm just stuck some seriously green tucker and deshelled peas in the tank and hand fed the male betta to make sure he eats some. So I shall keep an eye on them, but failing the constipation theory what else could it be and if so what can I do to not loose them.

Also have treated the tank with Epsom salts in the hopes that if it is bloat or dropsy that that will help.

Hi, with both the second betta and sae it could be dropsy, I have just lost my 4th SAE to this this year. For the first fighter it could be old age, could have had a stroke. Dropsy is caused in theory by the internal organs failing causing the fish to retain fluid, however I think there is a link between this and the amount of bloodworms fed (and I did say 'I think" as others may disagree).

Hi ya Buddy! :bounce:

Sorry to hear you're now having fish problems :(

OK, I've done some digging and for your old male betta, aging symptoms are generally gradual, not sudden - i.e. colour change wouldn't be so quick, it would be gradual over time - as would all other old age symptoms. The fact that it happened in only a week says to me that he's not well and there's still life yet in the old boy :) Maybe he's stressed to be put in the tank with another male - after all, Fluffy was rather upset about Handsome being in with him - guppy breeder or not. In fact, I think being with another male betta was the trigger for all of Fluffy's problems. Is it possible to put him in his own tank or bowl until you move? Can you maybe purchase a cheapy on TM until then?

More info on aging bettas here: http://www.nippyfish.net/agingbettas.html

btw, the other fish in the tank looks a lot like Handsome :)

As for bloat/dropsy symptoms, I found this:

To treat Bloat, the plan of attack is:

Metronidazole and water changes, water changes, water changes!!

1. Remove carbon/resins from filter.

2. Perform a 30-50% water change (reduces free-floating bacteria population)

3. Add salt (teaspoon to a tablespoon per gallon) to aid the fish's osmotic regulation processes.

4. Treat with 250mg/20gallons of Metronidazole (Flagyl)

5. Leave for 3 days and do not feed.

6. After 3 days, perform another large water change.

7. Replace the salt.

8. Add full dosage of Metronidazole.

9. Wait another 3 days. During this phase, the bloat should be decreasing in appearance. In large fish, the water may take on an ammonia odor from the high volume of urea the fish should now be producing due to reducing the bloat and recovering renal activity.

10. 3rd day, another water change. Also, replace the salt and redose the metronidazole (full dose). If the fish looks to be well on the road to recovery you can offer a small feeding each day.

11. Another water change on the 3rd day. No meds but, I'd recommend the salt. You should be clear now.

This is the treatment I use on my africans, puffers, and my lungfishes/polypteridae. Knock on wood that it's worked every single time.

Metronidazole is an antibiotic - try using furan2 instead.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys, Jaide, I ve done the water change added the salts and going to grab me some Furan. The male betta that looks like Handsome has pooped this morning but hasn't decreased in size.... :cry: Im hoping it may just be the fact that the food he ate yesterday is still in his stomach, reality is it probably isnt that. Im thinking my old betta may have had a stroke because I've heard of that in bettas that it does cause them to swim and sit like that. I've noticed that he doesnt tend to move a fin on one side so that is a bit curiouus. Hes been in that tank for 2 years now and never had a problem. It wouldnt be the other male causing stress cos he doesnt even look at him.lol that and hes had various males over the years share his tank in seperate living conditions. Water test came back as fine today aswell. Keeping my fingers crossed that all will be ok.

Metro is mainly used to treat protozoa rather than as an antibiotic

Every site I come across says metro is an antibiotic. I didn't know it was available here so suggested furan as an alternative.

Jaide, that's the first time I've heard of a successful treatment for dropsy

Excellent! :wink:

Great news to hear your fish is getting better Buddy! :bounce: You'll be pleased to know that Handsome is also getting better - the ich is disappearing and he's swimming around just fine :) It will take time to clear it out completely but he's in good spirits and recovering well :bounce: