November 6, 200817 yr comment_272782 Hi guys, My Bn eggs hatched and I was wondering how long does it take before they're free swimming? Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272796 it has always taken mine about 5 days congrats on the swarm Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272803 thanks. So it's takes 5 days for them to hatch and then 5 days for them to use up all their egg sack thing? Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272808 thanks. So it's takes 5 days for them to hatch and then 5 days for them to use up all their egg sack thing? Yep, that's how mine do it, and by day 12 they are all out of the cave and doing their best to survive the community tank. If I want to keep any to grow on I usually remove them from the cave before they start to roam. Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272816 They're in a tank with baby platys and their mum and dad so I don't think theres any threat (even though I really want to move them but I don't want to risk killing themm) Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272824 It sounds like they'll be safe where they are but moving them is no biggie. I siphon them out into a bucket, making sure that there's water in the bucket before I start to suck fry and being careful to keep the bucket end of the hose underwater so the fry flow into the bucket rather than fall. Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272836 They should be allright, my swords used to peck at the fry which would kill them but wouldn't eat them. The swords that did try got put into the oscar tank as revenge LOL Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272839 The swords that did try got put into the oscar tank as revenge LOL :lol: That'll learn 'em :lol: Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272956 also, be extra careful when doing a filter clean as the little sods like to hide in them. alway put it into a bucket before washing anything, and always check the water in the bucket before tipping it out Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272978 I'll make sure I check. How long before I can put food in the cave for dad as he hasn't eaten in a while. Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_272981 How long before I can put food in the cave for dad as he hasn't eaten in a while. Like to know this too as i was trying to find my boy last night and i think he's got some babies with him, saw possibly 3 about the 1cm mark. Haven't seen him out for a while. Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_273019 Dad will be fine. He's well set up to survive that period of time without food. Weigh down some courgette oustside cave is an option. he'll be ducking out briefly when he gets a chance. Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_273026 my GBA has 2 lots of eggs but i only see him fanning 1 lot, will these others surivive? Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_273031 Is there good flow around the 2nd lot of eggs? and are they secure from predation. If so then no reason for egggs not to hatch unless they weren't fertilised. Report
November 6, 200817 yr comment_273037 well i just moved the cave and dad and eggs into a safe tank with no fish in and i have 2 wrigglers yay lol dads still fanning other eggs so i cant wait, my fist batch of BN babys Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_273445 I've movede the babys to a breeder trap but they're not eating :-? . they have no orange egg sack under them so why aren't they eating. Also how many babys do you ussually get from each spawn of BNs? I counted 48 but the dad fanned the eggs out a few times and I saw the mum eating them :evil: but I don't know how many she ate. Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_273447 Put a bit of wood in with them and a slice of zucchini or something. They won't let themselves starve. I get around 70 fry a spawn but I think it'll vary from female to female. Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_273450 I've put a algae spirulina (sp?) tablet, bbs and courget in but the don't seem that interested. I'm only going to get them to a fairly decent size (1.5cms) and then they can go back in the tank. Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_273589 your lucky i only got 7 babys out of 100 eggs, i saw mum eating them lol lil tart ... Report
November 9, 200817 yr comment_273590 mine are loving the cucumber and shrimp pellets. they are in a tank by themselves and very active. Report
November 10, 200817 yr comment_273630 i have never moved my fry and get about 50 each time. quite often once the first lot are out and about, dad's back under the driftwood with another lot of eggs :roll: :lol: the young ones end up all over the place and seem to be eating the algae of the stones, plants and glass. also in their tank are guppies, swordtails and , over winter, WCMM. Report
November 10, 200817 yr comment_273735 My ones have started eating a bit and aren't all bunched up in the corner as much. They seem to eat at night more than during the day. Report
November 11, 200817 yr comment_273843 That's cuz they're mostly nocturnal not in my tank! its only the adults the hide during the day. the babies are always out and about Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.