Chocolate australe

Hi guys,

I decided to check my chocolates mop today (it's been 2 days since I put the mop in). I managed to find 15-20 little clear eggs and was wondering what colour they are when they're fertilised. I don't think these ones are. Theres only a pair in there so I was suprised to find so many eggs. They're in a container with some water from the tank in it. What else do I need to do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. so they're fertile. Do I add meth blue A couple of drops would be good and does it need water movement? again if you can put an airstone in just gentle Do I need to change the water in the container? about 20% per day would help but add it back very slowly and have it the same temp and Ph

It has only been 3-4 days so it wont be tails. Sometimes if the eggs are infertile and are bacterially infected they can produce gas which will push a "tail" out. For this to happen the eggs would be white. If they are clear and you have added meth blue go have a cup of coffee and be patient. You will see the baby fish in the egg in a few days if they are OK.

Is it safe to leave the mop in there with all the eggs with the parents? I'm not very good at rasiing eggs in containers :oops: Can you just catch the fry as you see them or will the get eaten?

I've been getting about 4-8 eggs a day so far and started another container on tuesday (I gave up on meth blue :roll: ). I've been collecting the eggs and then changing about 1/4 of the water each day. It's only a small container so hopefully they don't fungas (I pulled a fungased one out today.) I was just wondering how long they take to hatch? The water temp is 22 degress.

I just had a close look at the eggs and saw one of them had 2 tiny little dots in it so the may be the eyes? Then I went to have a look if any of the eggs in the meth blue were still good and not fungased (they've just been in a container with meth blue and haven't had any water changes). none of the eggs were white but they had a blue tinge (from the meth blue I think) and all of them had 2 dark black dots and some had a third dot on them :-? . Does this mean they're still good or are they bad and somethings growing on them? I've moved them to a seperate container with water from the parents tank (so it should be the same ph and stuff).

Also these eggs were laid on monday and sunday and the tank they were floating in was about 27 degress (I forgot that the parents tank was only 22)

Really :o . I thought the ones in meth blue wouldn't be any good. When should I see fry so I know when to start the bbs. The eggs with the "eyes" are still in the tank thats at 27 and the ones that don't have any dots are in 22. Would they eat frozen bbs?

I saw on a site that the eggs take 10-14 days to hatch but it doesn't say at what temp. These eggs are 5-6 days old so it could be soon? Alo how many eggs do people ussually get from their australes? I managed to get 19 from my pair today.

:bounce: :bounce: Some of my killie eggs hatched today :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: . Out of the 21 eggs that I put in the container in 27 degress water 9 of them have hatched while I've been at school. Do I move them out of the container with meth blue in it into a a new container with clean water from the same tank that the eggs water came out of? How long till I need to feed them?

Take them out with an eye dropper and put them into clean water from the same tank they have been floating in. Feed them bbs or micriworm or both but don't overfeed. At that age they can only eat a few and too much will be left over and rot causing a bacterial bloom that will starve the fry of O2 and kill them.

Theres 11 fry and 10 unhatched eggs but they all look like they'll hatch except for 3 which I'm not sure about. I haven't been able to see when their egg sack will be gone and just discovered that my microworm cultures dead :-? .