stuff on top of water surface

henward

this stuff that has a mirror like sheen when the lightshines on it

even when i have changed the water, next day it develops.

the bubbles from aerator doesnt linger so its notthe toxins, and parameters are fine.

but its unsightly, howdoes one eliminate this?

n overflow or surface skimmer does it but how do i get one for a tank with no over flow?

The two clear pipes are filled with water (syphon). As the water level rises in the front box it flows thru the two clear pipes to the back box where it gets to the same level as the front.

From the rear box it flows down via pipes to the sump, which is basically another tank that can have filter media in etc.

A water pump the puts the water back into the tank and the cycle continues.

The overflow boxes are all rated with the rec flow rate, pump is matched to this.

yea its all good untill the siphon breaks in the pipes, if that happens the sump will empty itself into the tank and sepending on size of the tank, can flood it and burn the pump out

Won't happen with this design as the syphon/clear pipes are underwater the whole time, even if the water level in the tank drops.

Have a closer look at the unit, water flow up thru the sponges and over the top to get to the pipes.

You only have to start the syphon once.

I see...even when you change water, the syphon will stay going because the black bit is like a little container.

I guess you'd usually change most of the water from the sump though, right? The you just have to do a quick gravel vac, and you're done:D

how bout if i cut a tiny hole on the pipe or the rubber connector of the fx5 inlet. right just under the waterl line, this will then create a small water spoutthat will suck water, the layer of what ever it is and a little air into the fx5 just from the suction...

do you think its bad for filters to have some air inside it?

just a novel weird idea

i saw this happen when i left a hose syponing water, when it got close to the water line, a small whirlpool formed suckin all surface stuff and debris.

I see...even when you change water, the syphon will stay going because the black bit is like a little container.

I guess you'd usually change most of the water from the sump though, right? The you just have to do a quick gravel vac, and you're done:D

Pretty much, you can do a water change from the tank or sump, just turn return pump off first.

how bout if i cut a tiny hole on the pipe or the rubber connector of the fx5 inlet. right just under the waterl line, this will then create a small water spoutthat will suck water, the layer of what ever it is and a little air into the fx5 just from the suction...

do you think its bad for filters to have some air inside it?

just a novel weird idea

i saw this happen when i left a hose syponing water, when it got close to the water line, a small whirlpool formed suckin all surface stuff and debris.

You would have to get it spot on and i think the chances of that are very slim. The filter could stop if to much air got in.

How about just pointing the inlet out over the water surface, that would sort it overnight.