Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

perfect parameters for breeding guppies

Featured Replies

Hey all!

I've just been convinced to try line breeding a beautiful guppy I bought from the Livebearer show.

I've set up a brand new tank, with the idea of growing plants in it as well as breeding the guppies.

I have set the tank up from scratch - new clean water (no old aquarium water added) new filter etc to try and avoid any snails i already have.

I have the guppies in another tank, and tonight i tested the pH of both the guppy tank and the new guppy/plant tank. Guppies at 6.6/6.8 and plants at about 7.8. What would be the ideal pH for both the guppies and the plants to thrive in harmony?

I've had a nosey round the internet but seem to get conflicting info about pH levels, although the common theme seems to be consistency more than anything.

Can anyone give me any advice, suggestions or help?

Cheers! :bounce:

7.2 would be fairly close. Which ones did you buy? No 3 was the one I wanted but it was not in the auction. :cry:

  • Author

did you faff about while making your mind up about that? (he he he)

I bought one of Kevin's - I thin #36 white bodied male with a greyish blue tail

  • Author

Here's a photo of my boy: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

LivebearerShow102.jpg

The photo really doesn't do him justice!

I will give you faff next time we meet :lol: Around your earhole :lol: Nice fish by the way. I hope you still want the males I am sending down on the 15th.

  • Author

Certainly do!!!

I'm going to line breed my show fish, and breed your males to my blonde female to get something new and exciting for me to look at.

You can faff me round the ear'ole any time you like - just be warned you have fair competition for the stirrers spoon!!! :lol:

  • Author

Anyway smarty pants, any tips on how to lower the pH in a natural sort of way? I'm not keen on going out to buy pH down unless i absolutely have to

any tips on how to lower the pH in a natural sort of way? I'm not keen on going out to buy pH down unless i absolutely have to

I know I'm not smarty pants :lol: .....but wood and peat will lower the pH but not quickly

  • Author

I have a bit of wood I could put in, and I have peat as well, but doesn't peat make water changes a little more complicated an time consuming?

I read you have to soak peat in the new clean water for a while before putting the water in the tank to replace what you took out.

That would mean I have to be uber organised for tank cleaning!

Bogwood lowers the ph. I have a 900L tank which I do 50% weekly water change and got caught out when I got a reading of 3.2PH I was gobsmacked. Even the fish did not tell me. :evil:

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.