Wanted: Vinegar Eels

Aftaburn

I think vinegar eels lost favour due to their size but I can't remember if they were considered too large or too small for a number of species. Wonder how many we would have to order in to make it worthwhile? Might be worth finding out but I am not that interested in them any more. It was just that I was going to do an article about them then realised it was a bit pointless since I couldn't find any in NZ.

It seems that all vinegar that has "gone off" holds some life, and many years ago I looked at some vinegar from an old jar of pickled onions and was surprised to see it seething with life... so "perhaps" they arrived in there from the original contents... who knows.

It might be worth trying with some old vinegar (unpasturised.. or cider vinegar) and adding a piece of apple and a small amount of sugar to encourage the bacteria growth. Place it somewhere warm (not hot) with the liquid exposed to the air... although the ones I saw were in a sealed jar.. and needless to say.. I don't touch vinegar anymore :)

After a week or so, a microscope or strong hand lens will give you a fair indication if there is life present.

Apparently, once you get the culture going, they last for years, and take some killing off, but don't like the temp too low.