Help, guppy fin attacked

Vinnie

My girl friend and I put a few new male guppys in her tank yesterday, but we noticed (and by this time it was a bit late) the siamese fighter just did not like one of the male guppys at all, girl friend is really upset cause it was one of her favorite ones (black body, red fins / tail). Its the only one the fighter doesn't like and he took most of its tail off...

The guppy is in a breading trap in the corner of the tank now, fight back to normal apart from attacking the breading trap now every now and again. How do I save this guppys health and does the fighter think that the guppy was another male fighter? (guppys tail was a nice big red one)

The fighter is seeing the guppy as a rival and will continue to attack it. Don't worry about the guppy's fins though, they will grow back. Just make sure the water is as clean as possible so it doesn't get secondary infections. You are going to have to keep them separated as the fighter will continue the attacks.

Fighters are naturally agressives towards other fish - you're lucky it hasn't attacked any of your guppies before this.

In saying that though, I have my boy in with 2x silver dollars, 2x angels, 4 cories and khulis and yep - he may be a wee boy but he's ruling the roost ;)

My concern is moreso that the angels will attack the fighter's fins, but so far they've left him alone - will keep an eye on things though.

Glad to hear that they will heal over time :)

will be setting up a 25 liter tank for the fighter in a few days so until then he will have to put up with being in a breeding trap inside the tank.

But I was surprised that he went like that cause there has been a few male guppys in the tank since I got the fighter, but after adding those 3 the other day he just went nuts, so he changed his mind about them in just a few hours I guess.