fish prices

fins

As has been said before - rule of thumb is that you can probably get half the retail price.

As far as what fish to breed to make money (assuming that your not trying to make a living from it just get a few dollars coming in) - good quality guppies, neon tetras, mid price range cory's or white clouds would be my bet - not particularly expensive but high numbers. Also I'd stick to fish that can fit into community tank situations - as that is what the majority of fish keepers have.

as a rule shops buy of people that are gst reg, as we can claim it back, if you breed the fish and they are of good size and look good they will buy but as alan said never more than half price , one because they will need meds just in case. and 2nd because of gst.

breeding fish is a hobbie very few people make good money on breeding fish.

look at my golden black eye plecos i am only selling them for $20 and they cost more than that to raise them, im doing it for the fun of it.

But if a shop buys them without paying GST then they don't have to declare the GST either.

Just a thought.

In fact. No paper work, money in the back pocket for a free night out.

Another plus tho for lfs to buy local, is that the fish haven't come from over-crowded, antibiotic filled tanks.

They come from local water conditions, prolly the same as their customers, in other words, less deaths and happier customers.

Alan

alan you are a well knowen breeder so all shops would by of you with out thinking twice,

yes years ago thats what alot of shops did but now with eftpos you dont have the cash in the till as much as before because most people use eftpos (well in my shop they do)

we do pay cash for fish but not all the time.

Alan and kim are bang on the money.

I normally pay slightly less than half, due to the fact that we;

1. Quarantine all our fish from customers and

2. LFS cannot put the importers out of pocket, theese ppl have worked so hard over the years to bring us the fish that we all now have. All LFS have a responibility to our suppliers.

If you can establis a constant supply and quality of fish we will put them straight in the tanks and then you would get closer to half.

Some shops cannot do straight cashies, so G.S.T still applies to the shop.

• 4 weeks later...