Fry in Peat

TM

Just wondering how you all split the fry from the peat after hatching.

Have not had a problem till now as my hatchs have been poor. Ok when there is 15 ish and under as i pipette them out. Just checked the new lot out and at a rough guess there is 50+ :lol:

Baster here

tip the container (lidded of course) on its side and wait for the peat to settle then very slowly move the container forward untill flat again. That way the peat is to one side and the water and fry can easily be seen and removed

What did you hatch thnis time?

Opps

Sorry TM

Congrats on the Rachovii

are they the Aquarium strain or the beria?

Nothos in general when they are fry dont like too bigger water changes and I always put a bit of a Oxy tab in with them. You will loose a few for sure but the above seems to lessen the losses

Thanks

If I cant get it up here I will take you up on that... By removeing eggs and storeing on a lot less peat would save a lot of room instead of storeing 1 bag of peat I could store say 10 bags in the same place

As I dont have a hot water cupboard or heated fishroom (yet) Im reliant on the incubator Ive just bought

When I was doing the sand thing with nothos I used to get just eggs, count them and put them back into peat, but you only need a fraction of the peat (and you KNOW how many eggs you have). I am hoping that this new storage idea works and then I can see what is happening with the eggs. Being not 100% confident I am keeping some in peat as well until I can see if the idea is a runner. They are too good looking to lose over an experiment and I am hoping to get a big enough breeding colony to get some numbers up and spread them around a bit.

Opps

Sorry TM

Congrats on the Rachovii

are they the Aquarium strain or the beria?

Nothos in general when they are fry dont like too bigger water changes and I always put a bit of a Oxy tab in with them. You will loose a few for sure but the above seems to lessen the losses

They are beria, early days for sure. The problem i had was hatching them, raising so far has been pretty good.

I heard that there were the black Rachovii here a while ago... would love to track those down again... hopeing that they may well throw one or 2 from the strains we have .

Have been wondering that, not with the Rachovii but with the Korthausae, have seen yellow in NZ but have not heard as much about the Red.

Is this because the strains (Korth red, rach black) have been mixed or is the color form just a recessive gene/trait or because they are found in different locations??

the Kort Reds are belived to be here although the peat is very old

The reds are belived to be collected from a different location as is the Rachovii but with so many people keeping what they just call say Rachovii, you dont know which is which at times.

I know that Aaron had bred a yellow tailed Stienforti... hope its still alive as I cant wait to see it and see if it will throw more yellows