Does anyone "worm" their dragons?

soloman5

Hi all since parasites can be a problem with reptiles is there a way of worming them?

I did talk to someone who has many years experience with dragons, and she uses ivomec to worm them, just 1 drop orally then again in 10 days time.

I looked up on the net and it seems as though ivomec is quite risky. Has anyone wormed their dragons and with what or know much about the ivomec?

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to 2 vets and they both said not to worm water dragons as they have parasites which they need and worming them will kill that. One of the vets I spoke to has a water dragon and has never wormed him the wd is regularly (ever day basically) fed "wild" bugs. :-? :-?

Do other types of dragons get wormed, there seem to be alot of beardie owners here what do you guys do???

No I could find out tomorrow though. Yeah they were both quite firm about not worming that the parasites were a good thing which surprised me. Neither of the vets were actual reptile vets sooo maybe a vet which has more knowledge in that area has a different view and knows alot more :-?.

I rang quite a few different vets today and most of them weren't quite sure whether to worm or not, some said no because there is no need but I did talk to one vet who said yes there is no harm in worming!!

They have an "over the counter" worming paste for reptiles. The vet said generally reptiles won't get worms but it is possible, for WD's they are more likely to if they are in a high stressed environment and bad husbandry their immune system can become low because of it and then pick them up. I had contradicting info on the insect thing though one vet said that insects won't carry parasites where as this one said yes it is possible for insects to carry the eggs that the parasites lay. The only risk for the worming paste which he knew of for reptiles is they could have an allergic reaction.