My first try at stripping....

MarkLB

Hi all. I decided to strip the fry from a Peacock today, it was my first attempt so I was a little nervous, unnecessarily as it happens :lol: .....I caught her, put her in a container, turned away for a couple of seconds to get a tool and by the time I turned back she'd already released them for me 8) Easy peezy :wink:

MaleriFry.jpg

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Congratulations! I just did it for the first time this week too (mine was an epectric yellow though). Isn't it so satisfying! Well done!

Cheers. I love having fry to grow on.

I usually give the females a tank of their own so they can release when they're ready but I wanted to have a go a stripping.... :D

Yeah the main benefit is the female doesn't get too run down..

Other benefits are if you can leave her in the tank remove her for stripping then stick her straight back in she doesn't loose her place in the tank so less aggression on her. Also sometimes they tend to hold too long and when they finally let go the fry are half starved so good to get them out and eating when they are first ready to.

I stripped her this time because she was looking skinnier than she usually gets, whether that was my imagination or not, I feel happier to have her eating 8)

mark bottled off would be better than laughed off :oops:

Too true, but it's a hard choice....would I rather be kicked off through disgust or derision :lol:

Good pic..

doch it should be fairly obvious when your dem's are holding they will have the big bulge and also be hiding/not eating alot..

heres a pic

DSC03181Small.jpg

However I will caution you on trying to attempt stripping demasoni, they are very hard to strip and very easy to damage the females in the process..

its funny you say she spat them by herself. My baenschi female is the only female that i have come accross that spits them when she is caught. Basically if you don't catch her immediately & have to chase her a bit she panics & spits in the tank. When i catch her straight away she spits in the cotainer. All the other females i have you have to strip them. Some are really easy & others are always difficult but they are consistant, my yellows just lay there & let them go when you open their mouths but the red zeb fights for every baby.

Congratulations! :bow:

I too had a female peacock spit in the bucket on Saturday! :lol: I was transferring her to another tank and she spat in the bucket - rather a lot of fry that were much bigger than I'd expected. Close to 1.5cm. Once she was into the small holding tank I found another four fry...

Best thing was once the peacocks were out of the main tank, I started seeing both electric yellow and demasoni fry! Ok not many, but it's a start. :bounce: