Things that happen when you don't have a camera....

Stella

I have spent the last three days at Nga Manu Wildlife Sanctuary (Waikanae) helping a master's student with her mudfish trapping.

At one random point one of the guys that worked their showed me their tuatara rearing facility. He managed to find one and put it on my hand for a few minutes! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Just amazing and totally unexpected! The skin on their body is really *really* soft and is quite loose, but the tail skin is quite firm and doesn't slide around when you touch it. Odd observation, but that was what really struck me.

It really seemed quite unworried and sat there on my hand fairly calmly (but run off quickly when put back). It was probably 25cm long.

And of course I didn't have my camera with me and there was no one else to see it! :roll:

AND last night we went spotlighting for native mudfish and saw a whole lot! Imagine a really soggy forest with puddles on the forest floor. That is what they live in. We were just looking in the puddles nearest the boardwalk. We had tried the night before and saw none, but this time we saw at least 13 fry (circa 3.5-4cm) and two medium/small ones (circa 7cm). Very exciting and very rare.

Life rocks ;)

tuataras freeze when scared...rather a prehistoric survival method when you think about it especially when they see their mate beside them getting devoured by a T-rex tho I suppose we can forgive them as they are over 100million years old. as their relatives have died out they're sometimes referred to as a living fossil.

AND last night we went spotlighting for native mudfish and saw a whole lot! Imagine a really soggy forest with puddles on the forest floor. That is what they live in. We were just looking in the puddles nearest the boardwalk. We had tried the night before and saw none, but this time we saw at least 13 fry (circa 3.5-4cm) and two medium/small ones (circa 7cm). Very exciting and very rare.

Life rocks ;)

Sounds like a cool looking scene...

If only it was killifish or cardinal tetras in there

Thanks guys, it was awesome. One of those "did that *really* happen?" moments!

Makes sense freezing when scared. Though this little guy did look around a bit, it wasn't stone-still. I find tuataras usually look fake, they are *too* still!

If only it was killifish or cardinal tetras in there

Yeah it was only a fish native to your own country which is also on the threatened list and probably under greater threat even than the tuataras (which are apparently dead easy to breed, raise and release, unlike mudfish). They are almost never seen unless trapped first. :roll:

Each to their own, but I find it tremendously sad that people put more value on the exotic rather than the amazing animals in their own country. No wonder our threatened species list is so huge and growing by the year.

MiNcIE, it is an awesome place, well worth a visit! On display they have green geckos, some cool brown geckos, tuatara and some other lizardy things.... sorry I didn't spend a whole lot of time in that section :oops:

http://www.ngamanu.co.nz/