David R's new 630L tank...

David R

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The epic failure continues.

Came home from work today to find birchy sitting in the overflow, looking very cramped and not too happy. I managed to get him out, after dropping him a couple of times, and he seems to be ok now. My only concern is that I could have done some sort of internal injuries while picking him up, I can only fit one hand into the overflow and had to pick him up around his soft mid-section. I guess only time will tell.

Barrie I'm going to have to make up a pretty funky glass lid contraption thing to block off the gap above the overflow (I've got a ghetto temporary I made out of a plastic chopping board in there now) with out obstructing the flow of the water. I'll draw a plan and maybe even make up a cardboard template and get it to you.

haha, david, now u can see how my box filter is better eh?? muahahaha, so when the fish falls into it, its not all the way down the bottom of the tank, i made a little comb filter to go on the top out of plastic to stop my fish falling into it. and the best thing is, it doesnt make ANY sound.

P1250938.jpg

i always found ornates go nicely with that red sand i got off you... (not enough), a quarter of the tank is still glass....

I've got some more red sand you can have, its been used so it won't need such a thorough wash, just a bit of a rinse.

I don't want to put a comb on it as the water level is already quite high (about 10mm from the bracing) and I don't want anything obstructing the flow as I'm going to put a second pump in to increase the turn over once I add some more fish.

Sound doesn't matter either as its in the garage. :wink:

epic endeavour! good to see it looks like the unevenness is sorted that was a huge stress for you for a long time. also on behalf of all tetras please suss out the situation as it's not nice to go through a filter or be stuck in a sump :)

ps cool shot with the sev in there

The tetras are happy as larry in the sump, but will be going to the planted tank at my GF's work this weekend.

And on that topic, it seems goldfish are smarter than tetras. Well at least they learn to avoid going over the overflow quicker than the tetras did...

Well things seem to be going a little better this weekend. I got the new substrate in ('charcoal' grit from S&W World) and transferred the uarus and heckeliis over from my 4' tank. I also had a big rearrange of the 4' and 3' tanks, so I can finally turn the temperature down on my 3' for the balzaniis, and there are now 22 clown loaches from about 2" to 7" in the 4' tank.

Anyway, some pics. The water is still a bit cloudy [from the substrate] and I was in a hurry so they're not the best. Meh.

Whole tank:

Tank27-10A.jpg

Birchy and two of the heckeliis:

Tank27-10B.jpg

And he's not in the new tank but I can't be bothered starting a new thread, so can anyone identify this guy, was bought as a 'clown pleco' in hamilton about 5 years ago, and is around 8cm long:

Plec.jpg