Cost of tank operation

Catfish

I'm just trying to figure out roughly what my tanks cost per month to run and wondering if anyone might know the answer...

Here's the break-down:

2x - 2w Air pumps

3x - 15w Lights (12hr program)

2w Moon light, (12hr program)

100w Heater, I'm guessing is only on half the time...

300w Heater, same as above

5w Filter

8w Filter

by what I've calculated by dividing the usage of the heaters and lights, I came up with 223.5w, so if this is correct what would my monthly cost be?

Dixon is on the rigth sort of track.

But how much the heaters run is an unknown, and really depends on the temp of your room + the tank size and how insulated it is. Hard to guess, and as it's the main power draw it will throw the numbers out a lot.

The Warehouse has cheap plug in power meters, ($20). You set the tank up to run through that and it will measure the actual power draw over 24 hours and tell you exactly how many kW/hr have been used. Multiply that by your local power cost and 30 days in a month.

I suspect the actual number will be less that the $27 per month, unless your room is really cold. And remember in the winter the heat that is put into the tank ends up in the room anyway, so it's not really 'wasted'. If you had enough tanks it would keep your room nice and warm wiht no extra heating :wink:

Ian

After having the 2nd glass of a very nice Red Wine, I ask my self why you would want to know the costs?

Surely it is dangerous and may put you off wanting more tanks?

Would you no be better off just getting more tanks and cursing the power companies for the last power bill?

Sometimes its better not to know say he with 47 tanks down the back and thinking of increasing to 100 tanks over all :oops:

Hi

If the house is full insulated the use will be about 1/3rd less than if not..

Think many of you have been to my 80 Square meter room..Its containing 124 tanks with an average of say...250 L

The power for house 250 sq M and fish room is currently at $306 for both last month..Now because night temp has risen.{ Except the last couple of nights.} The ambent temp has gone up so big air con has been set lower and in about 4 to 5 weeks will be turned off..Till next march..

Its the insutation and large volume of water that looks after is self..

Also i full under stands with any spare ploy thats come from packaging on purchased items..That removed air..Its air that gets cold..But also remember if a lot of tanks using heats like say 200 W is very easy to over load standard house wiring..Better to heat the whole room with small air fan on thermostate......Cheers Phill

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was guessing at around $25 per month. Yes the heaters really throw things off depending on temp of the room, summer to winter and all that. An estimate was what I was looking for and all your input helps heaps.

Thanks again. 8)

After having the 2nd glass of a very nice Red Wine, I ask my self why you would want to know the costs?

Surely it is dangerous and may put you off wanting more tanks?

Actually the reason to why I want to know is because I live with other people and they are worried that my tanks are going to make the power bill sky rocket. lol. I wanted this so I could let them know before I set up anymore tanks, so no, this doesn't put me off wanting more tanks at all, just trying to figure out where to put them all...... :-?

General Idea of Annual Costs of Running your Aquarium

Based on freshwater only, at a temperature of 22˚C, total consumption for a small tank (38L) is about 150kWh a year. A medium tank (114L) 150 - 200 kWh per year and a large aquarium (208L) 200 - 400kWh per year. This is using basic equipment only and merely an average to give you an idea.

Exact usage requires an ampmeter, which measures actual energy used and not the energy based on the max output, as some equipment does not run full time (eg heater).

watts/1000 x hours x kWh cost x 30 = 30 days cost of aquarium

Catfish, I'm going to have the same problem with my flatmates next year - they want to to pay for the extra fish power (fair enough) so I thought I'd just get power meters before every fish multibox and work out the exact usage to pay for it.

Finding where to put tanks is an issue for me too - no idea where 8 tanks are going to go in a flat, but who needs a bathroom, right??

Finding where to put tanks is an issue for me too - no idea where 8 tanks are going to go in a flat, but who needs a bathroom, right??

Yes in the kitchen,,I know of one so keen on his fish they took over dinning and kitchen..Why not a lounge,,spose ya need some where to watch telly.....Phill

So far I'm taking over a small room as my breeding room and removing a couch, now what to do with the other 6foot..... Do I really need a bed? I could just sleep on a cot really.... right.....right? :roll:

yes, get one of those meters, then show them just how much their electric heaters suck down compared to your tanks!

I just might get one of those and put it on their out door spa pool that runs year round..... And they think that and their water bed don't draw much power :lol:

I used to have an outdoor spa pool, we thought it added maybe $10-20 a month.

I really am tempted to get one of those meters. I am so damned Scottish when it comes to my electricity bill ;) I am unemployed as of today, so it is bit of an outlay, but might save in the long run.

ummmmmm..... yessss........ that's right.....

Actually, I am FINALLY sitting down with my book after a three month hiatus. Am working on getting The Guru's suggestions into the text. Half the time I am working on actually *reading* them...

I am surrounded by a sea of books and open tabs in my browser and having a better time of it than I thought. I am being forced to PROVE that I am right! mwahahahaha!

Ok, so where am I at with the Extremely Brief Guide To Native Fish for the magazine? The galaxiids one was last, right? I have two others to write, one on mudfish and eels, another on torries and smelt, I think that covers them all.....

When do you need the next one by?

No hurry thanks Stella as I have finished the November issue (wanted to get it done before I head off on the Silver Fern Classic Car Rally) so it won't be needed until the February edition (cut-off date for that being December 31st). It will give you something to do over Christmas :lol:

If you can do at least 2 of them by then (or the other by Feb) it would be fantastic as I have to do February and May together as I will be overseas a couple of months so need to have the May edition finished at the same time as the February one :-?