Spawning Bully Pics

Snorkel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what species it is. It might be a "Crans". He's normally sort of a bronzy greeny color but now that He's gaurding spawn has got all dressed up in black! Whatever species they are, I have got 2 male and 5 female. They sure are interesting little fish. Very clever, and quite tame. Easy to keep, eat anything and best of all, cheap! The filthy creek that I got them out of, was just a "ditch", with some water in it.

Nice! Amazing all out in the open like that, very good of them to do it where you could watch them develop ;)

As for species, can't really go off colouring when black like that, but by the blunt profile it is definitely not a common or giant, by the stocky figure it is definitely not a bluegill.

That leaves upland, Cran's or redfin.

Your location excludes uplands.

The fact that it is a male and you haven't noticed any red fins suggests it is not a redfin.

So I think you are right, Cran's :)

The cool thing with that is Cran's are non-diadromous (ie they don't go to the sea as fry) so you are potentially able to raise them full in the aquarium :)

Now I have FINALLY got hold of a copy of an article by Bob McDowall entitled "Why Bluegill Bullies Have Blue Gills" or similar. I have only skimmed it but the gist is thus:

All male bullies have a coloured stripe on the first dorsal, this is often quite prominent when the fish is in its breeding plumage (yours looks to be green). However bluegills have a clear or creamy stripe, pretty nondescript, but then they have a bright blue membrane on the edge of the gills. Now they were thinking that the bluegill lives WITHIN the substrate, under rocks etc, in very fast flowing water. If you spend your whole life hiding under a rock it is pretty useless signaling to others with your pretty dorsal fin, as it is going to be flat against a rock most of the time. SO they developed side indicators: bright blue gill stripes!

Cunning huh? ;)

My bluegills had me a bit worried before I read the article. I thought maybe the current in the (now infamous) riffle tank was too strong, or they were scared of the bigger more boisterous fish, as I NEVER see them except about five minutes after feeding time, and only very briefly. I used to see them a lot more in a holding tank that had less current. This article has shown me that conditions are actually perfect and they are behaving just as they do in the wild!

Pretty satisfying feeling :)

Sorry for the total tangent.....

Stella Verbose :roll:

Very interesting indeed! Now here's a pic of the spawn at the moment. I think I can see two small black eyes in each egg.... IMG_2714400x600.jpg But mabee something completely different. There is a lot of eggs under that fish! If only I had another tank, I would have a go at raising them. Sadly that aint gonna happen. Also of interest, this fish is not black anymore..... IMG_2752600x400.jpg They can change color very quickly.

Why thank You kind Heir! They were no trouble at all. In the late afternoon, the sun pours into my tank, raising the temperature alarmingly, but allowing photographs to be taken. Redfins! Blue Gills! So many bullies I have yet to see! When I did a scuba diving course a few years back, we dived on a sunk runabout wreck, there were zillions of bullies all over it. I remember they were so tame and unconcerned that it was possible to catch them (well some of them) by hand. I cant wait to go back down there and see them again.

Why thank You kind Heir! They were no trouble at all. In the late afternoon, the sun pours into my tank, raising the temperature alarmingly, but allowing photographs to be taken. Redfins! Blue Gills! So many bullies I have yet to see! When I did a scuba diving course a few years back, we dived on a sunk runabout wreck, there were zillions of bullies all over it. I remember they were so tame and unconcerned that it was possible to catch them (well some of them) by hand. I cant wait to go back down there and see them again.

Yeah my flatmate is a diver and often dives in lakes. He says 20 metres down they have no fear of humans and u just 'put' them in a net and away you go lol...

I have absolutely no idea???.... Here's another photo.... IMG_2911600x400.jpg These two fish share a 300liter tank with 5 other females and a Giant Bully which has gotta be at least 5 times there size, yet the brooding males don't let the Giant anywhere near their broods! He's been banished to the very far end! Dixon, I would bet that any bullies You get down there, will be similar in habits to these fish. Also, any bullies you catch now and feed up in a tank will most likely spawn like these ones, if thats what interests You. I would rather they didnt..... Since they started spawning, the way they behave has changed a lot. Still, its interesting all the same.

Cran's bullies are only found in the North Island. The southern counterpart is the upland bully (also found in the lower North Island). Uplands are easily identified by the orange speckles on their faces. Since they are also non-diadromous (non juvenile marine stage) they can also be raised in the aquarium.

My uplands: http://picasaweb.google.com/nznativefish/UplandBully#

If you are interested in learning what lives near you, have a look here:

www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas ... eleotridae

Each species link takes you to a page with an introduction to the species and a distribution map.

(Note the maps are not always representative. Certain areas have been heavily surveyed and others not, but it is a good guide)

It is interesting in your photos seeing the male in all sorts of shades. The literature mostly suggest that they go black and stay black while guarding, which is obviously inaccurate. They can also go dark (usually not that velvety black) at any time, and it can happen very quickly.

I am also enjoying your updates! Cool seeing those little eyes coming along :)

Yah, I thought that was funny...the little eyes :lol: :lol:

So, ah how does they reproduction work :oops: female lays eggs then the male, hmmm right word?? covers? them with spawn??? :oops:

Do they only turn black when the "mating" is going on?

Caper