oxygen for transporting fish

ducati

I transport fish a bit and think I might need to do it more. I have followed guidlines posted on this site with great success. To date have only been using airpump to provide oxygen. At what point should I consider using pure oxygen? Where does one get an oxygen tank?

They are expensive as you usually need to rent them and the rent is worth more than the value of the fish. I have been given one which cannot be filled as it was one of the old exchange ones. What I did before that was go to a friend's place with an oxy-acetylene welding setup or chat up the local pet shop for a donation and fill up a large plastic bag (or a condom--tell the curious onlookers while driving home that your a student and it is a capping stunt.) You could pinch some off the person next door with breathing problems but you might have to slash the tyres on their weelchair first so you can make a clean gettaway.

What I did before that was go to a friend's place with an oxy-acetylene welding setup

Sorry to jump on your ship but... Hubby and I have had this discussion many a time about his oxy bottle (used to cut steel). He reckons cause it's not medical grade that I shouldn't use it for the fish. So is it alright to use then?

If you use pure oxygen you can put more fish in per bag with less water so transport costs are less as the box is lighter and you can fit more bags in a box (as I understand it).

I only used pure oxygen once and that was to get a LOT of cichlids up north is as small a space as possible (as they travelled as hand luggage). I borrowed a small oxygen bottle from my doctor friend who works in the Emergency Dept at the local hospital. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.