Anubias Nana in an African Tank?

batmanforever

Hi, Would this be the most hardiest plant that would survive in an African tank? Are there others as good or better? Can you cut the big thick stem to make smaller plants and does trimming the roots to say 5 cm slow growth? And finally does it grow just as good sitting on top of the gravel and what light does it do best in and what light will it tolerate? Thanks for your knowledgable answers.

My Anubias nana is very hardy. I think it copes with Africans (as does Java fern). You just cut chunks of the Anubias and replant. It will grow whether the roots are anchored or not. You can plant in gravel or attach to driftwood. Mine is in quite low light (thanks to the plants above) and seemed happy enough to grow. Mine never had extra long roots so I never trimmed them so can't say if it affects growth rate. I wonder if yours has such long roots because it is lacking something? Mine gets lots of BN poo 8)

We have quite a bit in each tank,(Big thanks caryl) with our Tropheus it's very good and strong had a bit of bad luck with keeping some in with my Malawi's as they eat them. :cry: We have some attached to corral rock some on drift wood and others just in the sand all doing really well.

Fatastic plant We cant get enough we have just bought 22 more plants to place into the new 8 foot Tropheus tank Got a great deal from our LPS :wink:

fish078.jpg

fish008.jpg

sandintheshowerpipes098.jpg

th_fishtank980.jpg

fishtank037.jpg

TRADEME019.jpg