Phosphates

nicmack

well I had to re setup after a disaster, so I cleaned out everything sterilized the driftwood and gravel in boiling water refilled the tank and waited then added a bristlenose, waited 10 days added a small school of 5 harlequins and then a gold nugget.... all in all its been five weeks now..... after three weeks this fluro green stuff started growing on the top of my driftwood and now its taken over I see it has also attached itself to some plants at the back......I did alot of reading and found that phosphate and nitirite are the main causes....each time I have had water tests done everything reads at zero but phosphates are at 5 - previously I have the same setup with no problems...the tank has been in the same position with the same standard lighting and no issues so I think this might be the cause??

I don't want to use antibiotics because it will interrupt the cycling process which I am still trying to complete properly.... if I remove what I can and get the phosphates under control hopefully this will help control it??

How do you know your water has high phosphates, just by testing or is there other things that happen with the tank?

Caper

Last time I tested, it came out of the tap with 0.25 mg/l PO4. My planted tank tests lower a few days after a water change, but I'm using Sera Phosvec, a PO4 absorber, and my tank is heavily planted. I'm not advocating for fewer water changes, BTW, I'm just saying Ham water seems to have high PO4 levels. :)

As for cyanobacteria, I have a few patches on some wood, but I'm using a UV steriliser, and combined with the Phosvec, it seems to be under control. I'm no expert, but this is what's working for me :)

Antibiotics appear to be a short term cure, most of the stuff I've found on-line says to control nitrate and phosphate levels, and keep your plants healthy so they out-compete the cyanobacteria for available phosphates

I was just googling around, and found this article interesting - a concept I haven't come across before...

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... ntial.html

It depends on why you got the cyano in the first place. Our tap water is also high in phosphates but I never had a cyano problem until I added some infected plants and the cyano took off. A treatment using Erythromycin worked very well and it has never returned.