Plants, And filters...

geana_wolf

Any hints as to what are easy plants to grow that don’t need a lot of light? And how long do I need to have the aquarium light going for? Mine only has one tube (bulb) would it need to be one of those growlux bulbs? (I think that’s what there called).

Second question is I have a filter that hangs of the back of my fish tank called a Jebo 503 and was wondering were I can get new parts/filter bits for it? And also I’ve herd different things about under gravel filters and I’m not sure if there ok to use or not? :-?

and last question...is it ok to use second hand filters the one I have came with the fish tank and it was very dirty didn't look like it had been cleaned for a while I’ve given it a good soak and clean should it be ok to use?

Thanks guys

Leah :bow: 8)

Plants that dont require lots of light include, Java fern, java moss, anubias sp, some crypts.

In regards as to whether your light is enough for plants, It would help if you could give tank dimensions, as water depth reduces light intensity. Also stating the type an wattage of the light would help in answering your question for you.

HTH

that bulb would be ok for growing some java moss or anubias etc

due to the low wattage , you would be limited in growing any plants that require strong light.

As a general rule of thumb, plants with dark green large leaves(such as anubias or java fern) are low light plants.

Plants with small leaves and light green or reddish, require stronger light.

Get some Java ferns and some wood to tie it to, and hopefully you will have a small forest in no time :)

Hi Leah, you work at Bunnings, right? So you are in a good position to increase the amount of light in your tank by making up your own wonderful light fixtures and putting a whole lot of different tubes in them! Hooray for you!

Because you're setting up your tank right from the start, now is the time to think about what substrate you are going to grow your plants in. Most other things can be changed around as you go, but substrate is way easier if you set it up properly right from the start, because you would need to take everything apart if you wanted to change it later.

My suggestion would be Dalton's Aquatic Mix, covered with a layer of gravel. There are a few threads on here talking about Dalton's, but just ask if you need more info.

well i have an undergravel running my 350 ltr planted tank and its sweet as the plants are doing very well....filters are a bit like the holden ford thing some swear by one and say the others are rubbish and someone else will argue the oposite point especially when it comes to undergravel.

Under gravel filters are great but you need to set the media up with the filter in mind. They are the same principle as a trickle sand filter used in water treatment where the media is graded and does the filtering. They would not be suitable to use with fine micronutrients like daltons or JBL as they will bring all the fine stuff up to the surface. The plants suggested like Java Fern and Anubias feed through the leaves pretty much so don't need feeding heavily through the roots. In my view undergravels work best when your plant fertilizer is mainly fish poo.

Hey everyone thanks for the info im off to google java ferns,moss and that other plant oh and Dalton's Aquatic Mix :D pretty sure we sell it at work :wink:

...as for the lights whetu ill have a look but i dont really know what to look for :-? dont tell anyone but i worked in the electrical dept for about two months and didn't really lurn anything lol :oops:

Leah