discus and plants

Caryl

Hi Caryl and Paula

I have grown a large number of different species at 28-30C. If everything else is optimal for plant growth then temperature is not a major issue.

I have a list of them on my computer at work. I will see if I can find it and email it to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my planted discus tank at all sorts of temperatures over the years. Before I got the cooler going, in summer the tank often got to 32-33'C. 25 2kg Bags of ice later it was down to 29'C.

Most of the plants were ok at 29-30'C, but most of the stem plants were a bit stunted and often the lower leaves would fall off. Dropping the temp to 28'C gave better results, but 26'C was the best. All the stem plants grow well and so do the Echinodorus plants. The discus are happy too. They still spawn on the plants regularly. The growth rate on most plants at least tripled at 26'C.

Discus do not need to live at 30'C. In the wild they only reach these temperature for a short time. They live longer at lower temperatures. 26'C seem ok.

Maybe someone else who keeps discus can offer their input too.

Disclaimer: (Since it seems necessary to have one).

This information is how I have good success and in no way reflects the way it should be done by others.

• 1 month later...

i have a 350 lt tnak with 8 discus in it ,with the smaller fish i have this is over stocked,my plants grow very well.no co2 no fertilizer.temp i have found to be best is 28.i have 12 sword plants,appox 40 val plants,4 large bunches of hydra.the hydra is very easy to grow,the val can grow 200mm in a week.my thank is 60cm deep aand the closer the plants get to the top the faster they grow

Hi Robert,

Just been reading your previous posts.

Seems like you have a nice balanced setup there.

Got any of those baby discus for sale. Could be interested a bit later when I set up a few more tanks.

We seriously need some input about Discus if you fancy posting some of your knowledge in the Cichlid Section.

Setups, water conditions, breeding techniques, raising the fry etc would be great reading for many of us that are interested.

I know we can search the web, but first hand experience is always better in my estimation. :)

Best Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)