Height vs. width

tinytawnykitten

I currently have a 230L ish tank with malawi cichlids. I would dearly love to upgrade to a larger tank (wouldn't we all) but I have a small house and really no extra space to even go a further foot width-wise. So the only way I can go is up. Is there any point other than aesthetic value? I realise it doesn't increase the 'footprint' but surely it gives more swimming room, more volume. Also at what point would the floor neeed to be strengthened? It is just a standard polished matai floor in a 1962 house.

I currently have a 230L ish tank with malawi cichlids. I would dearly love to upgrade to a larger tank (wouldn't we all) but I have a small house and really no extra space to even go a further foot width-wise. So the only way I can go is up. Is there any point other than aesthetic value? I realise it doesn't increase the 'footprint' but surely it gives more swimming room, more volume. Also at what point would the floor neeed to be strengthened? It is just a standard polished matai floor in a 1962 house.

Other than aesthetic? No, not really much point. Not much more swimming room, most fish don't use all of the altitude available to them anyway.

The extra height will be good for adding volume to your tank ie more water.. But it wont allow anymore fish to be kept because you don't increase the surface area or the footprint... Yes you can add more air to the tank to overcome a smaller surface area but it gets nasty if a pump fails or a power cut..

You could probably keep a few more if you went higher and built up the back with heaps of rocks right up to the surface for hiding places, but its not really ideal width or length is best..

Is it at all possible to expand outwards? Instead of a longer tank, how about a wider one (front to back?).

Probably just as difficult, but another way of looking at it.

(though Foxglove would be right on that option as well, tanks you can't comfortably reach into are annoying).

... Also at what point would the floor neeed to be strengthened? It is just a standard polished matai floor in a 1962 house.

This part of the question may not be relevant if you aren't going to get the bigger tank, but it is an interesting one nevertheless.

Of course, there is no easy answer to it, but here are some things to consider:

- Put a heavy tank close to a load-bearing wall. The floor will be well attached to the wall at this point, so it's one of the strongest spots. External walls are load-bearing, as are some internal walls.

- Get under the house and take a look at the sub-floor (joists etc.). Assuming the underfloor is structurally sound (solid foundations, no borer...), position your tank above a joist.

- Spread the weight of the tank as evenly as possible over the floor. If the stand has legs, consider putting a board of some sort under the legs so all the weight is not in one place. Run the board across the floorboards so as many floorboards as possible are sharing the weight of the tank.

- Solid wood floors are great. If you were in a newer house (or the tank was in an add-on part of the house) you might find you have particle board under carpet. Water spillage on particle board can be disastrous if it's left to soak in, so particle board floors require a lot more care when positioning a tank.