Geophagus species ?

go4itgirl

Hi

Not too sure just what species of Geophagus I have. Have 5 in a group which may be red hump but still not too sure. I have had since early May 2008 and they are obviously still growing but about 7cm in length.

The five started around the same size and looked like geo markings on them. Then one went quite splotchy and has since gone a light golden hue all over with no stripes. At least another two in the tank are now following suit. There is a very definite variance in size now. I would photograph them but they are extremely skittish and dart about. Their eyes are black with yellow circles.

Any idea as to just what species these are please.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taxonomists can't even decide they're called, the whole genus is a big question mark and nobody seems to agree on whats what.

These are the common species of earth-eaters that could be considered "Geophagus" in the looser sense that we have here in NZ;

G. brasiliensis

G. surinamensis (which is one of the biggest areas of confusion, the fish we get here are part of the greater surinamensis complex)

G. juripari (which is now known as Satanoperca juripari, or S. leucosticta, Here's a link)

G. steindachneri (red hump geo)

Gymnogeophagus balzani

Acarichthys heckelii

(have I missed any?)

If you can't get pics of your fish, do some Googleing with those names and see if any look like the fish you have.

There's also Geophagus Altifrons which is either a synonym for Surinamensis or a closely related species or...Who the hell knows. They look about the same and most of the geophagusii have similar requirements.

Personally, Geophagus Surinamensisessisii are my favorite FW fish.

Do they look like these?

No not really. Have managed to get a photo or two but nothing spectacular at all and will have a go at posting them. Just thought others might have recognised the huge change in colour thingy going on. Thought with one it might just be a pigment thing but with another 2/3 doing it then no not really.

The top one has markings that could possibly resemble a very stressed geophagus, but to me the mouth looks wrong for an earth eater.

Second one kinda looks like a baby jag or salvini?

Third one could be a small midas/red devil, or baby severum, or even a yellow chromide (Etroplus maculatus)?

None of them look particularly like earth eaters, and they all look a bit stressed. How recently have they been added to the tank? Is the water alright? Is there anything that could be bullying them? And what are they eating?

they have been together in the tank for at least 4 months and they have plenty of cover, plants flower pots tubes etc. the yellow one is rather fuzzy unfortunately and does seem to be the boss and would be close to being the biggest. they have changed colour and initially I thought they were surinams but can not find anything on google that will agree with that. Have severums and they are nothing like that.

Guess if no one can help will just have to watch and wait. bit of a shame really as I particularly wanted the mouth brooders.

Have got a video now so if you are coming over for next meeting Caryl maybe you can throw some light on them.

could well be correct regarding the hybrids. Bought from a pet shop in centreal Nelson and was told that they were geophagus brasilius but then when I went back to follow this up they just said they only came in from the christchurch supplier as geophagus. I am going to change their tank as they were in a holding tank until a month or so ago and had not changed colour nor were they so skitterish either and see if there is anything in the tank which is stressing them out etc. Temp was 25 and ph was 7 maybe 7.1 and nitrate was 0. anybody got any suggestions as tank conditions. Many thanks for help so far.

• 4 months later...

Hi there

time will tell of course but it appears that these fish are probably midas cichlids and when this site is viewed there are some that are similar. These are obviously very young still but will wait and see if the head lumps appear. It just goes to show that fish shops do not always know what they are on about and it is possible that they were mislabelled (as small baby's) at the original importers. who knows. They are certainly happy and very active in the tank moving all the stones around.

http://www.midas-cichlid.com/midas_pictures.html

Have a couple of Satanoperca Jurupari in another tank so may well have to source a couple more to enable a pair.

thanks everyone who had a suggestion :bounce: