DIY LR

Charlie

I have a tank (150 liters) that I want to get a pair or two kuda seahorses, or depending on what species are available at the time.

I want to make my own LR because I have a vision and cant find the correct piece, the i will seed the dead rock with LR.

Has anyone done this or have any links to this???

Yes you can make your own rock, there are a couple of guys in NZ that have done it and plenty of info on the web if you do a search. The biggest problem is the extra time it takes, you have to let the rock you made set and leach out, before you can start to cure it and make it into live rock. I've never done it but I'm guessing you would be looking at 6 months before you have good cured rock and can add your seahorses

1 part cement, 2 parts aragonite(calcite?) sand, and a variation between 2-3 parts salt(large grain type). Thats according to this site (good Diy site by the way). The reason behind the "2-3 parts salt" in variation to that site is that I've read on a few forums that using 3 parts salt tends to make the rock weaker and prone to crumbling.

DIY rock can make things cheaper if you have a couple months before its put to use, but if you want a set-up slightly quicker buying dead rock would be better. Using liverock of course is even quicker.