kick starting white worms

Spink

can anyone give me any tips for kick starting my white worm culture again?

I have had them in a cool dark place, but they don't seem to be doing much, and I haven't been able to feed out any of them for over a month because there's just not enough.

I used to feed them bread, then tried luncheon, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I also read keeping them in a wooden box can make a difference instead of plastic containers?

Any advice greatly welcomed :D

I keep mine in a wooden box lined with plastic where the media is in touch with the wood, feed them lucheon and use spent potting mix as a media. They don't like being too warm or wet so the wood breathes a bit. I found plastic gets too wet as it doesn't breathe like wood. They don't like light either. If they are happy they will be breeding so you will have lots of small ones as well.

I was recommended to use a pH neutral compost mix from Bunnings, so have them in that and have just moved them in to an old wooden coin box.

I think I might move them down to the garage and cover them up, see how they go.

I've never thought of bread soaked in milk. I also heard they eat mashed potatoe. Anyone have any experience with this?

Covered?

are they not covered at the moment?

I use lunchon as well and indeed got my culture from Alan

It works really well and I feed all my fish 2 or 3 times per week (thats 30 odd tanks as the others are fry tanks)

Post a pohot or two so we can see and maybe help

Hey Barrie, they usually are covered but when i put them in the wooden box i didn't cover them straight away just to let a little air get to them.

Maybe they are eating the media rather than the food, but I will try luncheon again and see if it works better with them being in a wooden box in the garage.